Ok. Now I am just thoroughly confused...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crystalab9305

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am contemplating either a 75g or a 90.
It will be a freshwater community tank. The last time I had a live plant, it overtook my tank. So, unless someone can suggest a slow growing plant(s), it will be unplanted.
I have however decided on using sand substrate instead of gravel. I would prefer a lighter colour.
I already have lots of bright colourful fish in mind (no, not the genetically modified)
Here comes my conundrum...
Cannister? What size? Brand? Sump? One site suggested using both while others say no. I would like to get away from the HOB's.
Also, I am totally confused with the lighting nowadays. My 35g is approx. 10 yrs old and I THINK it uses a T-8 bulb(?) I dunno. It hasn't burnt out in many yrs.
Any ideas and or suggestions?
Thanks
Crystal

Maybe go 90g so later you aren't regretting not going bigger. I personally like the Fluval FX6 for a canister filter. I have no experience with sumps. Some people use HOB's with canisters or sumps to get the surface agitation for O2.

There are several low light plants that are easy to care for like anubias, java fern, Rotala, moss balls, ect... that you can manage with LED lights. There's some knowledgeable plant guys on here that could set you up with some easy to care for plants.

Update

It looks like I just bought myself a custom 200g tank and stand for $450 cdn.

The 90g at the store cost $500 without the stand.

Oh the possibilities...I am so excited! I will be making a stop at Big Al's in Edmonton while we are down there and picking up a few supplies.

(y) :fish1:

That sounds like a big score. Slow down and take a deep breath before jumping into buying over priced decor and equipment. Be sure to check in with AA if you have any questions.

That's a great deal and a lot of room for several possibilities. Like V said, plan well on decor and fish.

The supplies I would be looking at are sand, cannisters and/or any chemicals I might need. I am so not ready to plunk anything in there right now. I think I would probably wait at least 2-3 wks before even putting plants in there. I do have a big piece of wood that I just need to re-soak.

First things first... Rearrange my living room :cool:

This particular store keeps popping up when I do any research online. Just wanted to check it out as I may be able to order the fish I want later on (my LFS has a very poor selection) :fish2::fish2:

My 14 yr old wants a great white shark lmao! ummm…. Nooo

I think I need a ladder...
There was a litlle bit of crushed coral leftover that I was trying to sweep into the one corner. There are 2 braces that I was fighting with as well.
I’m 5’5 standing on the chair and still too short ?. For a used tank, it is a fairly clean tank.
I bought Aqueon Opti Bright Max LED lights. I understand how to program it but in which order do I put the colours? I have a bunch of new equipment that I haven’t even looked at the box since getting home.
Been dealing with some smoke from the wildfires in BC (we live in Alberta) and dealing with some health issues with my husband. Priorities...
I haven’t set my laptop back up yet...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 88
want slow growers? Anubias , Buce, Java Ferns, Bolbitus, Crypts. are all relatively slow growing

I've seen some nice plants but they all in come in variations. My son finally showed up with some muscle so we could shim this tank level. Hubby will be buying a shopvac tomorrow so I can start scrubbing the inside. Then dumping 130 lbs of sand in and start the filling process.
I have my ladder (y) and my 36" scraper (y)

Any ideas for any tall decorations? The tallest I could find is 15" on Amazon. I found a couple of backgrounds I like.

Hubby, who hasn't really shown any interest in my tanks is really looking forward to this tank. It's right beside me so I can look at my little fishies all the time. Speaking of little fishies, I have 11 peppered cory fry growing away in my 10g. They are so cute! :smitten:

Crystal

I highly recommend a sump for anything over 75 gallons. It's more expensive, but really keeps the water clean, agitates the water for lots of oxygen, and is easy to clean. I use 100 micron filter media and my water is crystal clear. I have little experience with canister filters; I had one and found it annoying.

Hey All!
I was late starting my tank due to needing help from some people who weren’t always around to help.
I had my lights and everything all hooked up and ready to go but when we tried putting the back ground on, the lights disconnected....grrrr
Hubby finally got around to making me one lid. He will be doing the other 2 tomorrow whether he wants to or not. Then lights and using electrical tape so they don’t disconnect on me again.
About a month ago, I was cleaning the tank and fell off my ladder. Torn ligament in my right knee and badly bruised tailbone. Finally got off the crutches and got right back on the ladder. I don’t need to be told a second time lmao! But my tank is clean and finally cycled. Moving most of my fish from the 35 to the big one soon. Hubby wants a shark but I haven’t come across any that would be nice to my guppies and tetras I want. As long as there’s colour, he’s happy
Just giving all an update
Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US!
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom