ok so I got 3rd new tank (5 gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
MTS is definitely settling in. I just set up a 5 gal with some rocks, fake plants, white gravel, bla bla bla, and a 1 inch red cap oranda. Now, I know you're thinking it'll grow out of that tank, but I'll definitely move it to a new tank once it gets too big. But for now I think it's doing great. He's very active and isn't shy at all. I put him on my nightstand and he's really great to watch while I'm on my bed.

I want to get him some buddies soon, but don't know what to get since I don't know of many possibilities with a cool-temperature tank. What could I get that would keep the glass clean (smal pleco, shrimp, loach, oto, snail)? I was thinking of getting a black moor in there too. Whadaya think? Any suggestions?

Tsk. Now you should know better then to put a goldie in a 5g tank, even temporarily *50 lashes with a wet fin*

No buddies unless you get him into a larger tank, and definitely NOT another goldie!

Ditto to what Alli said. No stuffing of multiple fish into a 5g with a goldfish. :)

Eeeeeeeek!

New tank, nownownow. That guy can reach 3-4 inches in probably less than 2 months. I have two in a 29 gallon and they worry me somewhat.

ferret said:
Eeeeeeeek!

New tank, nownownow. That guy can reach 3-4 inches in probably less than 2 months. I have two in a 29 gallon and they worry me somewhat.

8O woah, they grow that fast? What did I get myself into? Looks like he'll be going back very soon then.

Either way, I'm really curious. What are good tankmates for goldfish? Any size...

Bad! Bad!..I see that you re "dimming" there illum!
The time he can stay in that was not even worth the cost..(my sons stupid 5 gallon was nearly 40 bucks..my 40 gallon was only 60 ..both new!). he'll be needing his new home, new owner by summer.

But......after you get a 35-55 gallon........ and add a filter with good turnover rate
You can get 2 black moors,
another oranda in similar color and a ryu in calico.
And a rubberlip or briostlenose pleco. otos usually get gulped by teh time they reach 5 inches.
Switch any of those with: a lovely pearlscale, a single fantail...
Always keep fancys with fancys. Don't never ever mix them with comets or other torpedoe shaped golds. Permanent tankmates need to be about 4-5 inches long and not out number your golds., but is usually not a good idea to keep fancy golds with other than fancy gold. They can't compete for the food and the are messy . Sounds like a lot..well you can go pick up a 15gal for his permanet home, but with anything; ONLY a single bottom feeder hardy to temp and water quality (which will always suck at its level) and fake plants.
I almost got a gold by semi-impulse last week, but we have an empty 18 gallon and a 20 needing repair in the garage. ^_^

I would take Christmas' advice. Goldies are best in species-only tanks (I have kept them with a pleco) and fancy with fancy, like she said. You can have an extremely interesting tank with just goldies. Be sure you have super duper filtration.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually did buy this fish on impulse. I had all the tank equipent laying around the house and just decided to make use of it. He was the smallest red cap I'd seen recently (maybe an inch). I guess he's going back soon since my next tank will be in the works once summer starts (80-100 SW reef).

Back
Top Bottom