Ok, this Nitrite spike is not normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could try it if you have it on hand, but I wouldn't waste good money. I havn't heard many people find it very useful. A better bet would be dirty filter media or substrate from an established, healthy tank.

Great news! Over the last 2 days my nitrite has hit 0. I have perfect water parameters, and will be getting some cichlids today! Thanks for every ones help, a mix of patience and water changes did the trick...

smells fine to me. I just did a 35% water change, and the nitrates are now close to 0 and the nitrites are still off the charts.
Now i KNOW something is screwy with your water, your test kit, or with the performance or interpretation of the results. The nitrate test frist converts nitrate into nitrite, then measures the amount of nitrate you have by how much nitrite you have converted it into. Therefore, there is no way you could have 50ppm of nitrite AND 0 nitrate, since the AP test kit would read the nitrite and the nitrate levels the same . In a tank that did have 50ppm of nitrite, the nitrite test would be 50 and the nitrate test would be 50, if your tests were being done right and not being interfered with.

I am glad that things have worked out for you, your fish are well, and the levels have normalized. Good luck!

yea, it was funny I knew it was going down but the test was still getting over 5 ppm, it was just taking 2 minutes instead of 2 seconds to turn the dark purple :)

Back
Top Bottom