Ok to add Kuhli Loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

When I upgrade my 30 to a 40 (48" kind):
Would it be ok to add Kuhli loaches?

Stock is 3 high fin platy, 8 habrosus cories, 1 Bolivian Ram, 3 three line cories.

I am not set on it at all. I love my current fish. I just wanted to ask because my son would think they were amazing. :)

Thank you!

CoryFan said:
Hi

When I upgrade my 30 to a 40 (48" kind):
Would it be ok to add Kuhli loaches?

Stock is 3 high fin platy, 8 habrosus cories, 1 Bolivian Ram, 3 three line cories.

I am not set on it at all. I love my current fish. I just wanted to ask because my son would think they were amazing. :)

Thank you!

They will be competing with the Corys so just make sure they all get food.
Striped or Black Kuhlis are both peaceful great fish.
LoachesOnline has great info.

Yes, you can. Get at least 5 of them. They're an absolute joy. Your son has good taste in fish. ;)

Oh, how exciting! :)
I was worried about my habrosus most of all because they are so tiny.
I will watch everyone eat and be hands-on to place food in different areas, or in waves. Will that work?

I will check out that site!

Thank you both.

Kuhlis are, in my opinion, the most peaceful species you can have in a community tank. I had week old krib fry that would swim along beside them and they just didn't care.

As for feeding, they love algae wafers best, at least mine do, but will have no issue with sharing with others. Corys are pretty much the same personality so you should be good.

Sand substrate is best for them as they like to "snowplow" through the substrate. If you have a magnifying glass, your son will get a giggle out of how their heads look like miniature walrus heads.

Give them a good piece of driftwood or some stones with which you can create a cave. They will dig beneath decor to create their own, if nothing is available to them.

Back
Top Bottom