Old 30 gallon tank I'm cleaning up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2happyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I decided to have my husband pull the old 30 gallon tank off the shelf after 15 years collecting dust. Phew! still cleaning it. The gravel has been thoroughly rinsed. The old plastic plants are washed. We have 3 pumps, two of which still work a Whisper 200, 115 volt, 2.5 watt, and a Penn-plax Silencer 120 volt, 3.2 watts. The hood light is a fluorescent tube type 30 watt, cool white. It has a custom cut blue plexi glass cover, my husband made back in the day. Two heaters, a small one called Spot Brand, a large one Supreme Heetmaster ModII, a thermometer, and a hang over the side black filter. The tank and hood still need cleaning.

I wanted to see what we have, versus what we need to buy. I threw out the old Ph kit, fish food, dechlorinator, and some used tubing. If I can get the old siphon tube clean I will keep it.

I feel like I've been in school the last few days, so much learning going on. I know 30 gal is kinda big for a Betta, but If it works out I would like to stock with some other fish. First I need a good Ph kit. Oh wait, first I need to finish cleaning the tank and hood, lol. I have a male Betta waiting to go in. I know I want to put in a school of 3 to 5 Cory Cats.

Where can I find good information on bio loads? I want to put some live plants in such as a moss ball.

Also can I put in a school of a larger tetra say 1-1 1/2 inch full grown size such as Purple or Blueberry Tetra with 1 male Betta?

Is the Cool White fluorescent sufficient lighting for a moss ball? Not sure what other plants I want to put in atm.

I have a bunch more questions, but for the moment this should get us started. I should begin cycling tomorrow once the tank is clean, and I am pretty sure my local lfs has a good Ph kit.

As for what you can stock with a Betta it really depends on the temperament of the Betta. I tried homing neons with my Betta before and the Betta went on a flaring rampage. I would try placing whatever you decide to stock then add the Betta overtime to see how it reacts. Just have a backup plan just in case. I have heard that if you have a heavily planted tank to break the line of sight it may curb the aggression.

I was thinking of planting zones. Drift wood and some plants on one side of the tank. I have a big piece of slate and a bunch of rocks and more plants for the other side. I still need to research plants, suggestions?

I haven't done much in regards to plants myself. I would suggest a tall grass like plant, possibly some low light plants also. Maybe even something moss like. I'm waiting for spring to come to acquire some driftwood from the river close to my home. I'll be talking to my fish guy in a few days to inquire about plants. I can definitely post once I get some info from him

I won't start cycling til tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to decide. I'm not even sure how well this old equipment is going to work, lol. I definitely want a moss ball. Is that even alive? Need to do some more research.

It has been suggested I could have some shrimp in there with the Betta. Wouldn't the Betta eat the shrimp?

Tank mates for bettas depend on the bettas personality. Some will tolerate company, others won't. Same with shrimp. I've had a Betta kill on sight and another that will share food with shrimp. I would test your equipment for a good few weeks just to make sure it all works correctly. You don't want a heater malfunction after you get your fish.
How are you planning on cycling?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Oh and welcome to AA!! :)

Last edited:
No fish during cycling. I want to plant also before adding fish. Is the F30T8 cool white fluorescent sufficient for low light plants?

Also I am pretty sure the lfs has the API master test kit. If not I will order one. I agree I need to see if this ancient equipment will hold up. I am going to get a 10 or 20 gallon as my backup plan if the Betta doesn't play nice.

2happyfish said:
No fish during cycling. I want to plant also before adding fish. Is the F30T8 cool white fluorescent sufficient for low light plants?

Cool white won't be sufficient for plants. You will need a 'daylight' or 5000-6700K bulb. You have a single t8? It will only be enough to grow very low lights plants such as moss, anubia, java fern and hornwort.

So you re looking at fishless?
Here is the guide.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html
It involves pure ammonia dosing.

2happyfish said:
Also I am pretty sure the lfs has the API master test kit. If not I will order one. I agree I need to see if this ancient equipment will hold up. I am going to get a 10 or 20 gallon as my backup plan if the Betta doesn't play nice.

The test kit is much cheaper online :)

Yes a single t8. I should be able to replace the bulb then, and yes moss and anubia were two I was thinking of. Thank you. I have read the article twice now, and will be referring back to it again, and probably again. lol

I should just order it online then. My husband just reminded me we need to seal the stand. It is unfinished wood. It doesn't look like I will be able to start cycling tomorrow, :(

Back
Top Bottom