Old Grandpa Betta on his way out, dwarf frogs next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Two-parter question:

I've had a betta for about 5 1/2 years now. From what I understand, that's a respectable lifespan for them, and he's beginning to REALLY show his age. His activity level has been in decline for the past year or so, but just yesterday,he began to prop himself up on floating plants and just....sit there....

I'm hoping for a peaceful passing. I've been putting a small dose of melafix in his PWCs and doing more of them, trying to keep him healthy since his scales seem to be shedding. I've heard that melafix is bad, but I figure at this point, the benefits of a little bacterial medication outweigh the dangers of long-term liver damage. Any other recommendations for keeping him in comfort on his way out?

Second Question - he's in a 5 gal. I was wondering if stocking 4 or so African Dwarf Frogs after he passes will be ok. I've been looking around online and most say 1 gal. per frog - but we all know how the internet is with novelty aquatic pets and their stocking advice....

Melafix causes labyrinth organ damage, not liver. Overuse can make it so he "drowns" once the labyrinth organ stops functioning... Not a very peaceful death :( I'd opt for a little salt and indian almond leaves for the same anti-bacterial/healing benefits without the risk of damage.

African Dwarf Frogs are a joy to watch in groups. I think they'd be fine in that tank. You could always use AqAdvisor to check

Melafix causes labyrinth organ damage, not liver. Overuse can make it so he "drowns" once the labyrinth organ stops functioning... Not a very peaceful death :( I'd opt for a little salt and indian almond leaves for the same anti-bacterial/healing benefits without the risk of damage.

Ok, I have some aquarium salt I'll add with the WC instead today. I don't think it's the cause, since I've only been adding about half the recommended dosage on the bottle for each WC.

I think he's very close to the end :( My comfort is that he had a good life, full of good food and a decently-sized tank (for betas) with live plants and proper heating. I think over 5 years is pretty good, considering he was one of those poor guys with fin rot and stress marks in the dirty betta jars. He was purposely picked out for being the WORST-looking. I know it's bad to support the sales of a shop that would do that to a fish, but my 5-year old step-son held him up and said, "this one needs us to help it" How can you say no to that sweetness? :)

And thanks for all the replies about the dwarf frogs - I'll check with the youn'un to see what he'd prefer, but I thought I'd offer options as long as they're not cruel.

Ok, I have some aquarium salt I'll add with the WC instead today. I don't think it's the cause, since I've only been adding about half the recommended dosage on the bottle for each WC.

I think he's very close to the end :( My comfort is that he had a good life, full of good food and a decently-sized tank (for betas) with live plants and proper heating. I think over 5 years is pretty good, considering he was one of those poor guys with fin rot and stress marks in the dirty betta jars. He was purposely picked out for being the WORST-looking. I know it's bad to support the sales of a shop that would do that to a fish, but my 5-year old step-son held him up and said, "this one needs us to help it" How can you say no to that sweetness? :)

That was very nice to bring that fish back up to full health. Fish are an afterthought in pet stores nowadays.

Nice life span for a betta- I've never known someone to have a betta past four years. African dwarf frogs are interesting but different than fish, you get more of a im-gonna-sit-here-til-i-gotta-breathe attitude vs a betta's curiousity.

Frogs may be less interactive, but they're very goofy. They tend to hang out in the oddest "zen" poses, and with a group of 4 you'll likely get to hear males singing to the females when it's quiet. Plus the near constant "hugging" ;) I love my little frogs!

"Bloo Blaloo" (Named by a 5-year-old) passed away this morning. I wanted dwarf frogs, but the young'un wanted another beta, so that's what we got. Someday, I'll have my own tank and choose what's in the tank I have to clean :brows: Ha!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I read somewhere online that someone claims to have an 8-year-old beta, but Bloo started to look and act old at 4 years. I'm glad that the consensus is that he lived a long life, and I'm not like one of those people who pat themselves on the back for keeping a goldfish alive for 6 months:angel:

Two-parter question:

I've had a betta for about 5 1/2 years now. From what I understand, that's a respectable lifespan for them, and he's beginning to REALLY show his age. His activity level has been in decline for the past year or so, but just yesterday,he began to prop himself up on floating plants and just....sit there....

I'm hoping for a peaceful passing. I've been putting a small dose of melafix in his PWCs and doing more of them, trying to keep him healthy since his scales seem to be shedding. I've heard that melafix is bad, but I figure at this point, the benefits of a little bacterial medication outweigh the dangers of long-term liver damage. Any other recommendations for keeping him in comfort on his way out?

Second Question - he's in a 5 gal. I was wondering if stocking 4 or so African Dwarf Frogs after he passes will be ok. I've been looking around online and most say 1 gal. per frog - but we all know how the internet is with novelty aquatic pets and their stocking advice....

Why do you think your betta is so old? What's your secret?! I've had bad luck with bettas... Mine died at almost two years old.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom