old media.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildone

Aquarium Advice Regular
5 months ago I lost my 50g to a break in the bottom, let my media set for 5 months, 2 weeks ago set up a 75g used the dried media, culture sponge and ceramic media (2) if then in my 2 30/60 whisper filters. Had ammonia reading after 4 days of .050 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0, now after 2 weeks + ammonia 0 nitrite 9 nitrate 0. Lucky, maybe, but I have put in 4 tiger barbs and 2 red tailed black sharks and 2 bristle nosed plecos, in the first week, still no change in water parameters. Do I need to worry? I test water daily, will the tank cycle, or is that over?

5 months ago I lost my 50g to a break in the bottom, let my media set for 5 months, 2 weeks ago set up a 75g used the dried media, culture sponge and ceramic media (2) if then in my 2 30/60 whisper filters. Had ammonia reading after 4 days of .050 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0, now after 2 weeks + ammonia 0 nitrite 9 nitrate 0. Lucky, maybe, but I have put in 4 tiger barbs and 2 red tailed black sharks and 2 bristle nosed plecos, in the first week, still no change in water parameters. Do I need to worry? I test water daily, will the tank cycle, or is that over?

As long as you stay on top of water changes you should be ok. Your tank isn't cycled yet.

There are 2 types of beneficial bacteria that work in your filter. The first turns Ammonia into Nitrite. It seems like you are developing a healthy culture of this first type (shown by the Nitrite). The second type grow more slowly and they turn the nitrite into nitrate. Your cycle is not done until both types of beneficial bacteria are getting rid of all nitrite as well. Once you see nitrate showing up the bacteria are developing.

Have a read of this. It explains things better than i can.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

What are you testing your parameters with? The API test has a maximum reading of 5ppm for nitrite. If you have a reading of 9ppmm for nitrite, you honestly need to do some big water changes to drop this way down (.25ppm or less) as there is fish in the tank.

A reading of 0 ammonia indicates your tank is in the cycling process and that your already half way through to being fully cycled. Have some patience and stay on top of your daily testing and water changes to keep toxin levels under control. :)

Be sure to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates daily and do a 50% WC anytime ammonia or nitrites rise above .25ppm.

Back
Top Bottom