Old Tank. Juwel filter prob and What fish can we put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday i completely cleaned. Well completely bleached a 30gal tank that had been sitting in my garden for months. Its been thoroughly rinsed until the bleach smell was gone and tested by filling it with water for hours and overnight and everything is working fine.

I cleaned it to use it for a temporary home for my fish whilst i renovate my tank and then it was then when i noticed actually how good the tank is.

Im having a bit of trouble setting up the Juwel filter system. Well fitting the pump in more specifically it just dosent seem to "click" in place.
We got the tank free from a friend of a friend who didnt want it anymore but it came with no instructions or any documents. Ive looked at images and searched the net for instructions but i think i have cracked it although im not too confident.

Anyway, i somehow persuaded my mother to allow another tank in the house and im quite excited about the potential it has and the resources that we already have to create a tank that could be great. I measured it and calculated the amount of water the tank holds and its spot on 30 gal.

Were going to buy a stand now and look at fish, ask questions etc.

Its my brothers tank and he would like semi-agressive/larger fish like red tailed sharks and clown loach and maybe a dwarf puffer? Im not that keen on a puffer i've heard there pretty agressive!

Yesterday i completely cleaned. Well completely bleached a 30gal tank that had been sitting in my garden for months. Its been thoroughly rinsed until the bleach smell was gone and tested by filling it with water for hours and overnight and everything is working fine.

I cleaned it to use it for a temporary home for my fish whilst i renovate my tank and then it was then when i noticed actually how good the tank is.

Im having a bit of trouble setting up the Juwel filter system. Well fitting the pump in more specifically it just dosent seem to "click" in place.
We got the tank free from a friend of a friend who didnt want it anymore but it came with no instructions or any documents. Ive looked at images and searched the net for instructions but i think i have cracked it although im not too confident.

Anyway, i somehow persuaded my mother to allow another tank in the house and im quite excited about the potential it has and the resources that we already have to create a tank that could be great. I measured it and calculated the amount of water the tank holds and its spot on 30 gal.

Were going to buy a stand now and look at fish, ask questions etc.

Its my brothers tank and he would like semi-agressive/larger fish like red tailed sharks and clown loach and maybe a dwarf puffer? Im not that keen on a puffer i've heard there pretty agressive!

Right the filter is sorted now. Works perfectly, we bought the part we needed and all is a.ok!

I bought a clown pleco aswell. Only problem is i need to soak the driftwood for a few days to drain all the die that will turn my tank water yellow. So mr plec has no driftwood.

There are plenty of hiding places so im sure him and my other pleco will be fine together.

They'll be loads morehiding places hopefully when i get my tank all changed.

Are you using media from your other tank to cycle this tank? It generally works much better than a full cycle. Loaches are peaceful fish, red tail sharks I believe get get aggressive to their own kind, and the dwarf puffers get aggressive in smaller tanks with more inhabitants. Recommended 2-3 gals per dwarf puffer. So they can be nippy to other fish but not always extremely aggressive. I personally love clown loaches so much, they are so entertaining, but they get quite large and you will have to consider that you will have to move them from a 30gal once they get bigger. Mine are growing rather slowly it seems like and they have 125 gal to roam in. Good luck and post some pics when you can.

The problem is... My tank has all my fish in it and in order to use the media from my tank to cycle my brothers tank my fish will have to go without a filter.

I have filled my brothers tank with about 20% of my tank water by siphoning it into a bucket and tipping it into his tank. Then i added treated tap water until it was full. The filter (clean, fresh media) is on and running with just plants and some gravel in the tank. I am concerned with the amount of bacteria in the filter as it hasnt cycled yet.

What i want to know is, can i use my filter in my brothers tank (8 gal bigger)
on its own with my brothers filter turned off?
Or should i turn them both on? (bearing in mind my brothers filter is pretty much as good as new)

If i can do this, how long do i have to wait before transferring my fish into my brothers tank? (bearing in mind my fish will have no filter?)

I just did an ammonia and ph test.

The ammonia levels are: between 0 and 0.25
The ph is 8.

These seem fine to put fish in but surely the tank could be still cycling?

Also i have added a clown pleco to my tank today.
He's getting pushed out of the colloseum ruin by my bigger pleco but it dosent help that he hasnt noticed the new fresh peice of driftwood which i also added today!

I want to keep everything as stress free for the poor little guy who today has been added into a new tank and been bullied. I admit today wasnt the greatest time to buy him but i did. If he would only notice the wood he'd be ok. I did just move it closer to where he sits so im hoping that he finds it!

Best of luck with the new tank.

Your right about Puffers, they should only be kept with their own species and you have to keep feeding them snails which can be a pain. They can be nasty little critters but fun.

3 small C loaches would be nice just make sure there in good health when you buy them.

What about a Siamese Fighter. I keep mine in a 25g juwel tank with 2 small angels, 4 dwarf gouramis, 3 Cories.

I dont think my brother's to keen on betta's. I have one and he wants larger/semi-agressive fish.

If you scroll down the freshwater & brackish general discussion page you should see a different thread with this title, i must've posted it twice. In that thread its more updated on my situation. Any advice would help a lot.

Just got home and i looked for my clown pleco and he was sittin on a rock!

I've never seen him on the driftwood! Hopefully he ate/sat on it today whilst i was at college.

Im thinking of moving the fish today... The ph and ammonia seem ok. (previous post) Any advice on transporting fish?

Back
Top Bottom