Old tank, new owner -- Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mehiggins101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently inherited a 10-gallon fish tank when a coworker left for a new job. It was in sad shape with only one surviving fish.

I have since turned this tank around (it looks worlds better and cleaner), and I bought a few fish at the local pet shop.

I got three Platies (one died in about a week) and one Pleco. These fish were all purchased on the advice of the salesperson.

The preexisting fish turned out to be an Albino Red Finned Shark.

Questions:
1. Is my tank too small for my Pleco?
2. The Platies chase each other; is this a problem? Seems harmless.
3. One of the Platies looks pregnant. Do I need to do anything?
4. The Albino Red Finned Shark hides in a log I bought and chases the other fish off. Is this an issue?
5. Do I need a heater?
6. Can I add a few more Platies?
7. I had the water tested, and they told me the pH was high. I bought my own overpriced test strips and conditioner. Should I lower the pH in steps or all at once?

First off, don't use chemicals to change the pH of the water. As long as the pH is stable, the fish should be fine. What is the current pH? Also, test strips can be pretty inaccurate, especially as time passes afte the container was first opened. If you want a good test, the liquid tests are the way to go.

Second, that tank is WAY too small for just about any Pleco species. It may be OK for a little while, but depending on the species it may stay below 6", or it can grow to more than 18". Also, some pleco's have to have algae to eat, while some won't eat much algae at all. Make sure you are feeding it correctly.

Third, red finned sharks are usually territorial, and will also outgrow the tank (upwards of 6", IIRC). A 10G really doesn't have the room for the variety of fish you have. Especially with Platy's, which are live bearers and will breed prolifically if you let them.

1. Yes
2. Probably not, probably a male chasing a female.
3. Not unless you want the kids.
4. He will get to big and they can be aggressive to other bottom dwellers.
5. Yes, you have tropical fish. Need steady temp around 77F.
6. After removing the pleco and shark you could get a couple more a 3/1 ratio of f/m is good.
7. Don't worry about the PH. Stable is much more important.

Welcome to AA!!!

Hmm, so now what?

I'd be glad to return the test strips and pH down chemical. All I know is the guy at the store said my pH was "way high." I know that doesn't answer your question.

I bought some algae waffers for the Pleco. Should I return this fish? I asked for a cleaner type fish and told the store what size tank I have, and this is what they sold me.

Basically, what should be my next step?

I would return the pleco and shark if you can. The lfs should take them. Get a liquid test kit. The Aquarium Pharmaceutical master kit is very good. Look around see what fish you like and report back here. we will be glad to help you stock your tank.

If its a bristlenose pleco you might be able to get away with it. If its a common pleco, or pretty much every other species then i would return him. BN Pleco shouldnt reach more than 4-6" when mature, if it is a BN and you decide to keep it then you would be really limited on the amount of fish you can add to the tank. Also pleco's are poo machines, you would be doing PWC's a lot more than without him :)

How about a Mystery Snail and some Shrimp to keep the bottom clean, that would probably work better for your tank than a pleco.

-Pleco

I should be able to return the Pleco. Is there a better "cleaner" type fish to get? I think I'm stuck with the shark since he came with the tank.

Should I keep the Pleco, how often should I do a PWC? How much water should I change, and should I use tap or maybe spring water?

You would be surprised you could call and ask they may very well give you a credit for the shark. The pleco really needs to back, the get well over a foot long and the shark is not going to like sharing its territory with it. You could get ottos or corys for the bottom and clean up duties.

Back
Top Bottom