"Oldtimer"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebirdman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
many thanks for all the replies, there are greatly appreciated.
sanded and "refreshed" the stand sunday, and gave the 65 a good wash.
took advise on the hob filtration, did some research, and picked up the emperor 400 tonight, along with some new glass for the top, gravel, stones, Etc,Etc.......The CC was swinging ....
But do have 1 question .......
The stand is steel, and tank seams to fit good on it... I remember about
placing foam pading between the two on larger tanks, is this still the practice?
if so, Is a foam strip ok? and how thick?.... research turned up a 50/50 on the subject, so that's why I'm questioning it...
Again many thanks in advance for your coments
randy

I've heard of that practice but never did it myself. The most important thing when setting up a new tank is to be sure it's level. Reduces the stress on the silicone sealant. Especially in larger tanks. :wink:

Another good tip. You can insulate the bottom and back of your tank by taping a thin layer of styrofoam to it. It'll keep the cost of heating down a bit and be less work on your heaters. I was in Toronto last January. Brrrrr.

Brian

I have always put something between the stand and the tank, it was usually a chunk of indoor/outdoor carpeting when I was a kid.

For my current tank I used 3/8" art foam board under vinyl upholstery. It was cheap and makes a nice cushion for any irregularities in the stand surface. Insulates a bit too.

I figure the theory seems sound and I can't think of a way it would hurt, so why not.

You can pick up 'art foam board' or 'mounting board' at most craft/art stores. It is styrofoam between two layers of paper, bonded into a sheet. It is used for mounting pictures. It is pretty stiff and resists crushing better than styrofoam. The paper spreads the weight over a small area of the board.

Back
Top Bottom