Omega One fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_fresh

Aquarium Advice Regular
what does everybody think about Omega One food. does the fact that they use whole fish instead of fish meal make a big diffrence>?

ahh.. winchester KY.. howdy neibor!

ok.. the diffence in fish meal and whole fish is suppose to be the completeness of the ammino acids...

Yes and no....you need to be very careful with ingredients and labels...."Made of fresh whole fish" is very different from "Made with fresh whole fish"...in the former case, fresh, whole fish is 100% of the ingredients, in the latter case, they need toss in only 1 whole fish per manufacturing batch....so 1 small salmon might be all the fresh whole fish split up in 5000 jars of food.

i usually compare the protein percent before i buy and i buy the one with the highest protein content.

AshleyNicole said:
i usually compare the protein percent before i buy and i buy the one with the highest protein content.

the difference is in the quality of the protein the fish food contains... some products that can be used in the manufacture of fish food (feather meal) is very high in its percentage of protein content but at the same time is not very digestible by your fish..

I feed Omega One color enhancing flakes, veggie flakes, veggie rounds, and cichlid pellets. My fish really like them and I've found that the ingredients seem like they are much higher quality than the ingredients used in a lot of other brands.

There is a show on Discovery Channel.... Dirty Jobs. Last one I saw they went to a fish processing plant and Showed everything from catching the fish to the finished fish food. They basicly cut the fillets off the larger fish. Then the whole smaller fish and the remains of the larger fish were tossed in a giant grinder that ground up, and de-boned. The resulting slime was then cooked to separate off the fish oils and juices. They ended up with a powder that was mixed with various ingredients, vitamins and such. It was then processed into fish food pellets. In the end the fish food was made of pure ground up fish.

Toirtis said:
Personally, I am now a dedicated New Life Spectrum man....it truly is the best stuff available.

I have heard this ... wish they would make smaller containers as my fish leval wouldnt eat that in three years:)

sharky, you can keep the bulk of NLS refrigerated and take out only small portions to feed for, say, six months. this way, it stays fresh. i know people who buy it in big buckets and use it for a couple of years...
and i wholly agree with toirtis on NLS being the best out there.

megladonsharky said:
Toirtis said:
Personally, I am now a dedicated New Life Spectrum man....it truly is the best stuff available.

I have heard this ... wish they would make smaller containers as my fish leval wouldnt eat that in three years:)

Most flavours are available in 45g, 80g, 90g, or 150g jars as the smallest sizes....and those are really not that big at all.

Back
Top Bottom