OMG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
omg i was going over to my 20h to change 20% water and gues what i saw...2 babies....I dont know if it is a play of white cloud ...wow:popcorn:

That's always such a fun surprize finding babies. My guess would be platies.

:popcorn::popcorn: I am still watching trying to see if a baby comes from my sunburst platy (she doesn't look that big all though I can see a lil bit of a gravid spot) or my white cloud (she looks ready to unload)...I have since had to do some quick thinking and make a homemade breeding box that float in tank...I captured the wc since she looks more ready but I havent seen another baby...oh btw...someone had more than 2 I found them in my water wisteria or sprite...which ever of the 2 is bushy there are at least 5 that I saw there....so should I leave the fry in tank? :popcorn::popcorn:

Geronica said:
:popcorn::popcorn: I am still watching trying to see if a baby comes from my sunburst platy (she doesn't look that big all though I can see a lil bit of a gravid spot) or my white cloud (she looks ready to unload)...I have since had to do some quick thinking and make a homemade breeding box that float in tank...I captured the wc since she looks more ready but I havent seen another baby...oh btw...someone had more than 2 I found them in my water wisteria or sprite...which ever of the 2 is bushy there are at least 5 that I saw there....so should I leave the fry in tank? :popcorn::popcorn:

I thought white clouds were in the minnow family...? They are egg layers...aren't they? That would mean the fry are the Platies...but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;-).

yes, i'm pretty sure WCMM are egg layers. They are most likely platy fry.

I've found a few fry during water changes! It's always a surprise. lol

Okay, well if wc don't carry and deliver their babes, then I guess it would be my beautiful sunburst platy and she is still having them....awghhhh...well instead of messing with mother in main tank I just been getting fry into 5g whenever I spot one and can catch it..lol...so far I have caught 5-7..lost count but somewhere in there...do they deliver all day?

Okay, well if wc don't carry and deliver their babes, then I guess it would be my beautiful sunburst platy and she is still having them....awghhhh...well instead of messing with mother in main tank I just been getting fry into 5g whenever I spot one and can catch it..lol...so far I have caught 5-7..lost count but somewhere in there...do they deliver all day?

It varies. It could take only a few hours or take all day and night. I've heard of it taken close to 36 hours though I don't think this is the norm.

Your white cloud might be ready to drop eggs. Or maybe just chunky. :p

It varies. It could take only a few hours or take all day and night. I've heard of it taken close to 36 hours though I don't think this is the norm.

Your white cloud might be ready to drop eggs. Or maybe just chunky. :p

Okay, I don't know when she began...:fish2: so I will eat some popcorn (for real) :popcorn: and just scoop the fry out as I can ..what is the # babies that is considered average they have?

Okay, I don't know when she began...:fish2: so I will eat some popcorn (for real) :popcorn: and just scoop the fry out as I can ..what is the # babies that is considered average they have?

The norm seems to be between 10-40. I've heard that their first batch that they will usually have less but I am not certain of the truth to this though

Update: so far around 10 fry and I successfully was able to get them into the 5g (had to remove 2 guppies and a ghost shrimp; they all seem much happier in the 20H too)...
Question since the babies have been delivered I have noticed my platy's are messing with one another (the male keeps chasing the females away, i think), why?...

The norm seems to be between 10-40. I've heard that their first batch that they will usually have less but I am not certain of the truth to this though

hmmm that is why she did not look prego to me when I bought her ( I haven't had her 2 weeks yet), she had around 10. Did someone say they hold sperm?

hmmm that is why she did not look prego to me when I bought her ( I haven't had her 2 weeks yet), she had around 10. Did someone say they hold sperm?

yes, they can store sperm up to 3 months I believe and get pregnant at any point in there. She would have been PG when you got her, the average gestational period I think is about 3 weeks.

yes, they can store sperm up to 3 months I believe and get pregnant at any point in there. She would have been PG when you got her, the average gestational period I think is about 3 weeks.

Okay that is very good to know, ty

One time I poured water into my filter and out came three very unhappy guppy fry!

Geronica said:
Oh no! Were they still alive?:(

Yup! They probably were mad at me because the filter they were in is FULL of algae

image-1901753255.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic

Back
Top Bottom