OMG crab babies?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishb0ne

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning I woke up to a 5.5g brackish full of what looks like crabs in their initial planktonic phase. There's thousand of them floating and swimming around, little brown-black dots. I house one single female red claw crab in there because she's not getting along with my fiddlers. She tore them up all the time.
A little story behind the issue. I've had a female red claw crab [gaetice depressus] for about 5 months now. I then decided to set-up my 75g as a crabitat. I introduced here and then I went out and bought another, what I thought, female red claw crab. Small red pinchers, definitely not a male I thought. Well, after 3 days together the newly introduced has already lost a claw. Then, a fiddler female I introduced the day before has also lost 3 limbs and a pincher. So I decided to separate the female rcc I've had for 5 months and set her up into a 5.5 brackish tank. About a week later she started developing what looked like an egg sack. I dismissed the possibility but watched her carefully. She carried it around for about 2 weeks and then it disappeared. And this morning, 3 weeks after she "rid" of whatever that was, I've got this stuff floating around the tank.

Is it really crab plankton or something else? I really didn't introduce anything into the tank other than some anacharis which my crab promptly proceeded to give a haircut to.

Congratulations my butt, guys. I have no means to raise the little buggers!
I know there's an article out there with someone raising rccs but from what I understand the plankton need saltwater. I'll let nature take it's course with this one :(

fishb0ne said:
Congratulations my butt, guys. I have no means to raise the little buggers!
I know there's an article out there with someone raising rccs but from what I understand the plankton need saltwater. I'll let nature take it's course with this one :(

Sure you do, add a fish... live food, problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom