OMG! I think my 75 gallon is leaking!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just skimmed through much of this. The bottom trim is not necessary for the structural integrity of the tank. It has the cross brace because it is the same piece as is used on the top, not because the bottom needs to be braced. If the tank has a floating bottom, the trim protects the edges of the glass from bumps. So, a couple of cracks in the trim will not in any way affect the structural integrity of the tank.

Just skimmed through much of this. The bottom trim is not necessary for the structural integrity of the tank. It has the cross brace because it is the same piece as is used on the top, not because the bottom needs to be braced. If the tank has a floating bottom, the trim protects the edges of the glass from bumps. So, a couple of cracks in the trim will not in any way affect the structural integrity of the tank.

I just want to add to this. As long as its on a proper level stand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have already decided to make the switch. I will always be worried something is going to happen with it. I bought it used and was clueless about resealing....

I wish I just didn't feel so overwhelmed by this project though. I'm just freaking out that my fish are gonna die from stress or I'm gonna do something wrong and cause a cycle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wish I just didn't feel so overwhelmed by this project though. I'm just freaking out that my fish are gonna die from stress or I'm gonna do something wrong and cause a cycle ?

RELAX! Last week, I took all the plants and driftwood out of my tank. I scooped the fish out of my tank and put all 30 of them in a 5 gal bucket. I took out all the gravel and put sand in, replanted, and put the fish in. Now they are happy as can be.

As long as you take proper precautions and plan it out, you can get it done! You'll have piece of mine, and your fish get to go for a ride! Haha.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

RELAX! Last week, I took all the plants and driftwood out of my tank. I scooped the fish out of my tank and put all 30 of them in a 5 gal bucket. I took out all the gravel and put sand in, replanted, and put the fish in. Now they are happy as can be.

As long as you take proper precautions and plan it out, you can get it done! You'll have piece of mine, and your fish get to go for a ride! Haha.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

This is correct. Most likely the only one to be supper stressed will be you. I use to stress over upgrading tanks or moving fish. Now I just do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I am trying to be relaxed and find the silver lining...going to change a few things that were bugging me anyway ?

Sorry I'm being neurotic... Anything I should change?

1. Fill 7 quart plastic bin w tank water, apply hob filter and heater
2. Take out plants and driftwood
3. Unplug canister
4. Drain tank into garbage can
5. Fish into bin
6. Switch tanks
7. Set up canister
8. Scoop old substrate
9. Add new substrate
10. Plants, DW
11. Replace water out of garbage can
12. Add fish

Beer or wine at some point. Other than that, don't expose your heater to air if it's still REALLY warm. Allow it to
cool for a few minutes. Add the old filter back for a couple weeks to seed the new canister. Other than that, I didn't see anything I'd change.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

��

Question is do I really have to switch the tank out if it's the plastic frame that is cracked? Does that stabilize the tank?

I'm a little late to this post. Frames help stabilize the tank if you have a crummy somewhat uneven base to sit it on, otherwise I think frames are largely ornamental and protective - they hide the edges so you can't see the messy part of a caulk job, and they protect the edges from being bumped or hit and such. Lots of people build tanks without frames. A simple crack in the frame only probably won't be an issue, unless you remove part of the frame and put undue stress on the tank since part of it will have a frame supporting it and the other wont.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422920985.447947.jpg

Done. I'm never moving from my house so I never have to do that again...phew

So it's been almost 3 weeks now since I switched out my aquarium and my apistogramma macmasteri is holding a grudge!!! He used to be the most outgoing fish and now he just hides all the time. Think I've traumatized him ?

Back
Top Bottom