omg....tank too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh i get it, okay, nutrafin cycle removes ammonia and nitrites, so theres none in there lol!!! so i need to add a source >____< now, my question is, if i decide to add a fish and if i do PWC and keep adding this product, my tank basically is never going to cycle because all the ammonia and nitrite will be removed immediately, correct?

that stuff alone isntgoing to cycle your tank. it will aid the cycle (poorly) at most IMO. I have read way more of it not working than success stories

I'm pretty sure all that stuff does is make the ammonia and nitrite tolerable for fish. it's a product to use while cycling with fish. if you are going the fishless route, the only things you need are an ammonia source (pure ammonia, raw shrimp, fish food) and a test kit. all else is unnecessary

If you use those products, they can't remove the ammonia and nitrite, they just detoxify it. That means, the chemicals react and form different compounds that contain ammonia and nitrite, but aren't ammonia and nitrite. Your bacteria can still eat the ammonia and nitrite in the compounds.

well ill give it a try, this statement from NUTRAFIN says

"Cycle is composed of 5 strains of nitrifying bacteria. In addition to this, heterotrophic bacteria are also included to complement the actions of the included nitrifyers by converting organic waste to inorganic (ammonia & nitrite) compounds for conversion to nitrate."

so all in all, it should help me cycle correct? it does add the beneficial bacteria and it should help me start cycling my tank

The only product that I know of that contains live bacteria is bio-spira. Cycle might have at one point, but it isn't refrigerated, and it likely has been on the shelf longer than 6 months.

And when you buy the ammonia, make sure there are no detergents or surfactants. I think usually it is something like Water, Ammonium Hydroxide or something like that

alright ^_^ got it, well to update my temp, i just woke up and it isnt that hot today and the temp of my tank is 79*, AC was turned off 2hrs ago or so, i am still waiting for a humid day and see what temp my tank would get too

well ill give it a try, this statement from NUTRAFIN says

"Cycle is composed of 5 strains of nitrifying bacteria. In addition to this, heterotrophic bacteria are also included to complement the actions of the included nitrifyers by converting organic waste to inorganic (ammonia & nitrite) compounds for conversion to nitrate."

so all in all, it should help me cycle correct? it does add the beneficial bacteria and it should help me start cycling my tank

It adds bacteria, but not the beneficial bacteria you need. It is basically a different type of bacteria in a dormant state that does eat up ammonia. But, it is not the right bacteria and won't help to establish your tank. Unfortunately, the type of bacteria that you need can't be stored in a dormant state (I forget the technical terms for this) and therefore can't be effectively bottled.

I learned this from my gf who has a degree in microbiology. :p

It adds bacteria, but not the beneficial bacteria you need. It is basically a different type of bacteria in a dormant state that does eat up ammonia. But, it is not the right bacteria and won't help to establish your tank. Unfortunately, the type of bacteria that you need can't be stored in a dormant state (I forget the technical terms for this) and therefore can't be effectively bottled.

I learned this from my gf who has a degree in microbiology. :p
sounds like what i said in the chatroom.....

Back
Top Bottom