Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On a Mission to Help a Betta

Hi all...
I recently visited my school's biology classroom, as I am taking AP Biology next year. I was thrilled when I heard they had a betta (had I known, I'd have come to see him sooner), but the conditions he was in were anything but thrilling.
He's in what looks to be a 1 (at max, 2) gallon bowfront tank, with one fake silk plant and some sand. Thank goodness he has a heater and filter, but it appeared that the filter wasn't running. To top it all off, the tank doesn't have a lid, and it would be awful if the little guy jumped.
I'm not blaming the teacher, the useless local chain store staff probably told him this was fine... but I just feel like I can't leave the betta like that. He looks pale and stressed, and was listlessly swimming in his cramped quarters. A friend who had the class this year told me that they thought he was dead because he didn't need move at all for days. It breaks my heart.
I don't think I can just march up to the teacher and tell him to buy a new tank, that's not the kind of person I am and it'd be way out of line. He may not want to spend the money or take kindly to me telling him he's not housing the fish properly. That would be a horrible foot to start off on.
Instead, was thinking of asking him if it was okay if I bought a new tank, and explaining why. I'd also be fine with assuming charge of water changes and/or feeding if necessary.
I found a full five gallon tank set-up, with filter, heater, lighted hood, net, gravel vacuum, and decorations near my area, but it'd be a long drive. As much as I'll always advocate for real plants, I think the likely answer will be no, so the rather pretty silk plants that come with the tank would be good hiding spots. It also comes with one of those little flower patterned balls with holes (from most every big chain store?), which the fish could hide in if he wanted. It's $30, which I think is a great deal for a lightly used tank. Do you think I should pursue this and get the tank?
Any advice or tips would be welcome.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

A few years back I ran into this worrying problem and I myself debated whether to say something or just take action. It's definitely a difficult decision, but if you're willing to spend the money to help the fish out, then I suppose there's nothing wrong with it! When I dealt with this, I wrote a letter explaining why I felt the fish's conditions should be fixed and explaining the physical damage that can be done. Plus, if he's a biology teacher, he will likely be very interested in the biology of bettas and why his conditions are unsuitable. When I had written this, my professor was very intrigued and impressed at my knowledge, care, and dedication on the subject and decided to upgrade to a heated and filtered ten gallon. In fact, the betta even got to enjoy some shrimp tankmates it's your decision what you do, but I'd recommend a letter explaining why the conditions aren't optimal using cites and scientific evidence (there's plenty out there) and by showing the environment of bettas in the wild. You can also add that you're willing to foot the bill if it means the betta will get better care. Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes

Old 02-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, Drago. I asked a friend of mine who had his class this year to come with me to ask. Instead of leading off with "this tank is not right for the fish", I think I'll try the less harsh "I think he'd love some more room to swim around." If needed, I can pull out my arsenal of facts and figures, but I doubt that he'll need much convincing.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great news!
I talked to the teacher and he was immediately on board with the idea. He says he has a ten gallon at home he's working on and wanted to upgrade the betta as his next project. He really appreciated someone helping him with that, and thought a five gallon would be great.
The fish had been given to him by the football team, so they bought the tank not knowing that it was too small. But now the fish doesn't need to worry, as he'll have more room in hopefully a few weeks.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is great news! Good luck
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminginBlue View Post
Great news!
I talked to the teacher and he was immediately on board with the idea. He says he has a ten gallon at home he's working on and wanted to upgrade the betta as his next project. He really appreciated someone helping him with that, and thought a five gallon would be great.
The fish had been given to him by the football team, so they bought the tank not knowing that it was too small. But now the fish doesn't need to worry, as he'll have more room in hopefully a few weeks.
Great to hear DreaminginBlue. All's well that'll end well, huh?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's awesome news! Glad to hear all turned out good
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks all! I'll keep you updated with how it goes. The betta seems like such a sweetheart, and I can't wait to see what his personality is like when he is in a suitable home. Plus, I think I started off on a great note with my teacher for next year. Win-win! Being a nerd, especially a fish nerd, does have perks.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just picked up the tank. I have to clean it because it has some hard water stains and dried on algae- does anyone have tips for this?
Also, does anyone have the instructions to an Aqueon 5 gallon bowfront tank? I can't find them anywhere.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Working on cleaning the tank- so far, so good! I'll post pics at the end of the week when the fish gets a new home.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com