On a Mission to Help a Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all...
I recently visited my school's biology classroom, as I am taking AP Biology next year. I was thrilled when I heard they had a betta (had I known, I'd have come to see him sooner), but the conditions he was in were anything but thrilling.
He's in what looks to be a 1 (at max, 2) gallon bowfront tank, with one fake silk plant and some sand. Thank goodness he has a heater and filter, but it appeared that the filter wasn't running. :( To top it all off, the tank doesn't have a lid, and it would be awful if the little guy jumped.
I'm not blaming the teacher, the useless local chain store staff probably told him this was fine... but I just feel like I can't leave the betta like that. He looks pale and stressed, and was listlessly swimming in his cramped quarters. A friend who had the class this year told me that they thought he was dead because he didn't need move at all for days. It breaks my heart.
I don't think I can just march up to the teacher and tell him to buy a new tank, that's not the kind of person I am and it'd be way out of line. He may not want to spend the money or take kindly to me telling him he's not housing the fish properly. That would be a horrible foot to start off on.
Instead, was thinking of asking him if it was okay if I bought a new tank, and explaining why. I'd also be fine with assuming charge of water changes and/or feeding if necessary.
I found a full five gallon tank set-up, with filter, heater, lighted hood, net, gravel vacuum, and decorations near my area, but it'd be a long drive. As much as I'll always advocate for real plants, I think the likely answer will be no, so the rather pretty silk plants that come with the tank would be good hiding spots. It also comes with one of those little flower patterned balls with holes (from most every big chain store?), which the fish could hide in if he wanted. It's $30, which I think is a great deal for a lightly used tank. Do you think I should pursue this and get the tank?
Any advice or tips would be welcome.

A few years back I ran into this worrying problem and I myself debated whether to say something or just take action. It's definitely a difficult decision, but if you're willing to spend the money to help the fish out, then I suppose there's nothing wrong with it! When I dealt with this, I wrote a letter explaining why I felt the fish's conditions should be fixed and explaining the physical damage that can be done. Plus, if he's a biology teacher, he will likely be very interested in the biology of bettas and why his conditions are unsuitable. When I had written this, my professor was very intrigued and impressed at my knowledge, care, and dedication on the subject and decided to upgrade to a heated and filtered ten gallon. In fact, the betta even got to enjoy some shrimp tankmates :) it's your decision what you do, but I'd recommend a letter explaining why the conditions aren't optimal using cites and scientific evidence (there's plenty out there) and by showing the environment of bettas in the wild. You can also add that you're willing to foot the bill if it means the betta will get better care. Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes

Thanks, Drago. I asked a friend of mine who had his class this year to come with me to ask. Instead of leading off with "this tank is not right for the fish", I think I'll try the less harsh "I think he'd love some more room to swim around." If needed, I can pull out my arsenal of facts and figures, but I doubt that he'll need much convincing.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Great news!
I talked to the teacher and he was immediately on board with the idea. He says he has a ten gallon at home he's working on and wanted to upgrade the betta as his next project. He really appreciated someone helping him with that, and thought a five gallon would be great.
The fish had been given to him by the football team, so they bought the tank not knowing that it was too small. But now the fish doesn't need to worry, as he'll have more room in hopefully a few weeks. :)

Great news!
I talked to the teacher and he was immediately on board with the idea. He says he has a ten gallon at home he's working on and wanted to upgrade the betta as his next project. He really appreciated someone helping him with that, and thought a five gallon would be great.
The fish had been given to him by the football team, so they bought the tank not knowing that it was too small. But now the fish doesn't need to worry, as he'll have more room in hopefully a few weeks. :)

Great to hear DreaminginBlue. All's well that'll end well, huh? :)

Thanks all! I'll keep you updated with how it goes. The betta seems like such a sweetheart, and I can't wait to see what his personality is like when he is in a suitable home. Plus, I think I started off on a great note with my teacher for next year. :) Win-win! Being a nerd, especially a fish nerd, does have perks.

Just picked up the tank. I have to clean it because it has some hard water stains and dried on algae- does anyone have tips for this?
Also, does anyone have the instructions to an Aqueon 5 gallon bowfront tank? I can't find them anywhere.

Working on cleaning the tank- so far, so good! I'll post pics at the end of the week when the fish gets a new home.

Can't wait to see the Bettas new digs! So kind of you to do this!

Thanks... I just couldn't bear to leave him that way. He's such a sweet little guy :)
It might be a while before I can set the aquarium up, but I'll post pictures when I do. It got postponed a while because some stuff came up in my schedule and his schedule.

Tomorrow Mr. Betta gets his new home!
It kept having to be postponed due to scheduling, but tomorrow for sure we're setting up the tank. :)
Will post before and after photos.

The box of supplies I lugged around got me some weird looks :lol:
But I got it all set up. I haven't got an after photo, but here's the before.

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 44
That betta is going to look so much better when he's healthy again! I'm excited to see a picture in a couple months! Good deeds should go rewarded, and even though it isn't worth much, you did a good thing and should be proud.

Also, I was given professional advice about dealing with superiors a couple years back. You catch more bees with honey. Your tactful approach was the right way. :3

Thanks Reykur! I'll make sure to post one as soon as he starts looking better. :)
I'll check in on him on Monday and see how he's adjusting.

Back
Top Bottom