?? on a new fish for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55-gal freshwater with the following:
2-pictus cats
1 bala shark
1 irredisent shark
1 spotted raphael catfish
1 striped raphael catfish
4 rasboras
8 tetras
1 white corycat
1 algae eater
2 clown loaches

Could I add 2 angelfish to this mixture? I also seen this 'intriguing' flounder fish. Am I crazy for wanting to add these to this tank

Thanks for opinions

Have you ever heard of the 'flounder'? It actually looks like the under side of a snail & 'slides' up the glass also

The flounder is a brackish fish. The angels should work. The bottom of that tank must be getting crowded.

jaowl said:
so would the flounder fit in?

First and foremost you need to identify which species of flatfish is at your LFS. This is often times very difficult because the freshwater species and the brackish/marine species are often times damn near identical in appearance. Color should usually be disreguarded when doing the ID because flatfish blend in with their surroundings to a certain degree.

Before I go any futher, DO NOT BUY A FLOUNDER/SOLE/FLATFISH IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A FINE SAND SUBSTRATE

And now before you go any further, read this thread that I started at another forum: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=8fe4dfd5651037a91ff95ca9d8234675&showtopic=128863

This is should give you an idea of what you might expect to find at your LFS. Most soles end up starving out in community tanks because they're not getting proper nutrition. They'll want to be fed at night with the lights off only because they're nocturnal, and it's a struggle to keep the other fish from eating their food. You'd probably need to use foreceps. Finally, most reach lengths of about 20cm which is around 8" long. Because they're flat that means it will probably cover a 8"x4-5" area.

ALMOST FORGOT! They're predetors that prefer live foods. I just looked at your stock list and realized that most of your tank in habitants will become meals.

rich311k said:
Your tank is not brackish. So no it would not.

Unless jaowl can find a Brachirus Harmandi and be 100% sure. They are strictly freshwater and reach lenghts of only 8cm long. My length conversions aren't that good off the top of my head, but that's what... approx. 3.5"?

I personally think the flatfish should be left out of this tank. They're just not good community fish.

Thanks Legacy, I did not know that. The ones I have seen have all been bigger than that and listed as BW fish.

I read the link & the picture sure does look like what I seen today. I would think the irredisent shark or the striped raphael would be more inclined to eat the flounder.

Back
Top Bottom