? on bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok first i had my betta in a 1.5 gall. tank with no filter or heater since march i did biweekly water changes and vacumed the gravel one a week. Yesterday i noticed my betta on the bottom of the tank just lying there not moving much not even to eat, and my water was very cloudy. To top it all off I was out of dechlorinator so i moved him into my 10 gall. tank with my two male guppies and 6 neons. He just kind of sat there in my plants all day yesterday and left everyone alone, so I left him inthere all night. This am I got up and turned on the light and he was all over the tank. He is even getting up in the current from my filter getting blow down some then he swims right back up there. My question is should i leave him in there or do you guys think he will start messing with my guppies.

Thank Tess

It definitely sounds like he is happier in the larger tank. I would probably get him his own tank though if you can. I tried keeping a betta with guppies a LONG time ago and let me just say, it was not a pretty sight. I will never do that again. He doesn't have to have a 10g. A 5g or so would be great for him.

betta

Tess, it is hard to predict. The usual advice is a betta will see the long fins on a male guppy ....... and think it is another male betta. But, lots of people have kept bettas, peacefully with fish that they 'should not' get along with. If you can keep a close eye on them for a few weeks, and if there is someplace (plants, etc) for a harrased guppy to run to, then you can try leaving the betta in the 10 gal.

For what it is worth, I would try it. As you saw, a betta seems to come alive and get frisky with some swimming room. Plus ours does not mind company. He even tries to play with the catfish sometimes. Or rather he tries to sneak up on them, as they do him. The big goob has no chance to wriggle along the bottom and sneak up on a 1 inch cory, of course. But he is entertainig. lol Either way, Good Luck!!

Bettas are by far a rel touchy fish when it comes to tankmates. IMo bettas souldn't be houed with either of the fish you have them with, Guppys the betta will see as another betta, neons are fin nippers. All my sem fine but over a short period of time. Things will get ungly for either one of them. But then again you could get a male that just doesn't care who he's with. Case in point. My crowntail male marble dosn't give a hoot as to what he's with.

My experience with bettas is that it really depends on the betta. I had a betta once that would bite anything and everything that got in the tank...myself included. I had another betta that would not even flare up at his own reflection. That one worked great in a community tank. You know your betta best. Try what you think will work but be prepared to move the betta if it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom