?? on cleaning tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
In reading several posts recently on undergravel filter systems, that these are not the current 'thing'. In October I sat up a used 90 gal tank with undergravel system. The occupants are a range in size of goldfish from my outside pond.

I believe the word I read was to 'python' the crud out of the tank. Could you explain what you mean by this and how you do this.

Thanks for you help

A python is an aquarium gravel vac that comes in different configurations including one that hooks to the faucet and drains into the drain, etc.

But all you really need is a bucket and a regular gravel vac if you don't wanna spring for the python.

I think there is a DIY project posted somewhere on this forum that also outlines how to make your own Python.

It's true, as snapcrackler said, a bucket and a regular syphon hose will definitely suffice. BUT if you have a lot of crud to clean and you plan on doing it regularly (aren't goldfish messy fish?), I would recommend springing for the Python. It's always on sale somewhere. Since I've had mine I now can't imagine doing my weekly water changes and gravel vacs without it!

In other words -- it is the same as vacuuming the gravel!!

Yes, you vacuum the gravel using the python as you drain water from the tank...and also use it to add fresh water to your tank. All this without spilling a drop on the carpet!

The python is basically a length of 5/8 inch clear vinyl tubing with a 2 inch diameter plastic cylinder on one end and a T-shaped sink pump at the other end that connects to a faucet. When tap water flows through the sink pump, it creates the vacuum needed to suck water out of the tank. The sink pump attachment has a diverter ring that allows you to refill the tank without detaching anything.

For a tank of your size I would definitely buy a python. Those five gallon buckets get heavy! You can find it at any online aquarium retailer.

Our Walmart store has one for $19.95. Haven't invested in one yet, but I plan to soon.

It could be; I didn't make one tho. I bought the 50 foot Python from Petsmart as I figured the extra money was worth not having to deal with the local HomeDepot and setting the whole thing up myself LOL

Back
Top Bottom