Once again -- what fish can I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My signature has my current fish and plants.

What fish can I add? NO ANGELFISH please :)
Can I add any other cichlids? How about gouramis or red-tailed/rainbow sharks? Silver dollars (do they eat plants?)?

I would like some fish that are larger in size than what I have currently, but be safe and not eat my current fish.

TIA
Swanand

gouramis would do well.

Don;t go with the sharks, they can be a little agressive, but if you really want to go with RED TAILED sharks, they say fairly small and are fairly peaceful.

Silver dollars do eat plants, don't even consider getting one. I know of no plants they will not eat.
Your tank is too beautiful to risk adding silver dollars.

GBRs and any other dward cichlid would be great. Loaches... yoyo loaches are fun fish. What about a bristlenose pleco? or another small pleco.

One of my favorite fish are rapheal catfish, what about one of them. They are amazing.

Most types of livebeaeres would be fine too (guppies, platies, mollies)<if thats is your thing, i know some people love livebeaers and some people just hate them.

HTH

If you have only 1 Oto, might get him a couple more friends as well. 3 or 4 otos total would be a good idea.

WaterPond said:
gouramis would do well.

Don;t go with the sharks, they can be a little agressive, but if you really want to go with RED TAILED sharks, they say fairly small and are fairly peaceful.

Silver dollars do eat plants, don't even consider getting one. I know of no plants they will not eat.
Your tank is too beautiful to risk adding silver dollars.

GBRs and any other dward cichlid would be great. Loaches... yoyo loaches are fun fish. What about a bristlenose pleco? or another small pleco.

One of my favorite fish are rapheal catfish, what about one of them. They are amazing.

Most types of livebeaeres would be fine too (guppies, platies, mollies)<if thats is your thing, i know some people love livebeaers and some people just hate them.

HTH
If you really want a shark, go with the Rainbow Shark, and not the Red Tail. The Red Tails are extremely aggressive. I have 2 Rainbow Sharks in my 55G, and they do very well. Now the Red Tail in my 75G, he thinks he owns the entire tank, and is Pure Evil. And Red Tails get bigger than you may think. Mine is near 6 inches, and is probably the most aggressive fish I own, and definitely the most Evil.

Could do 2 BN Plecos as well, if you want a pleco that stays fairly small. Also, if you like loaches, you can do yoyo's, skunks, or striped loaches. Just remember they prefer groups, so 3-4 or more would be a good thing.

From my experiences, I'd have to side with WaterPond on the Sharks. IMO Red Tails are peaceful and the rainbows are much more aggressive. You only have 2 australain rainbows, you could pick up a few more. You could also get a few more otto's

How about a plecko? I had a snowball, gold nugget and a couple clown pleckos and they are cook fish.. Still have a clown in my 10 gal FW.

black hills tj said:
From my experiences, I'd have to side with WaterPond on the Sharks. IMO Red Tails are peaceful and the rainbows are much more aggressive. You only have 2 australain rainbows, you could pick up a few more. You could also get a few more otto's

Red Tails are definitely NOT PEACEFUL, lol. Once they reach 3-4 inches, they become monsters. I'm still trying to get rid of my red tail. Everytime someone comes and looks at mine and asks about it, I have to tell them the truth, unless you put him in with other fish that can hold their own, he will torture them. And he does torment my Rams. I still have my Wanted Ad down at the local LFS. Eventually I'll find a good home for him. He's currently just a hair under 6 inches.

My rainbow sharks on the other hand are quite peaceful, even with their own kind. I have 2 in a 55G, and they share the same area of the tank. Will get a chase on occasion, but for the most part, are quite peaceful. And they don't bother any other fish, not even the bottom dwellers.

Rainbow Sharks are beautiful, energetic, hardy, and rather aggressive to other Sharks, but not quite as aggressive as Red Tail Sharks. Most sharks are not aggressive to other types of fish. So sharks make good tank mates for many types of fish. But as mentioned above it's best to have just one Rainbow Shark or one Red Tail Shark in an aquarium, or more than six, but not just a few.
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/sharks_eels_loaches/shark_rainbow.htm

Thanks for all the replies. Few clarifications:

1. Ottos : I never had any luck with Ottos in this tank -- had them successfully in other tanks. I had 4 Ottos to start with and lost 3. I think (or hope) the 4th one is still there in the tank somewhere -- I have never seen him. I am not sure if I want to add any more Ottos.
2. Rainbows : I had 3 initially. One of them went back to the pet store as he was picking on my angelfish (RIP). How many more should I add if I decide to do so?
3. BN pl*co : This is incredible. I was on a look-out for one for some time and saw a few when I went to the pet store yesterday. I got one of these fellows. Do they need company or is 1 enough?
4. Rainbow fish : Can I add just one ? If multiple how many (I know they have to be one or 6+, correct?)
5. Loaches : I have reservations on these, as I have a few ramhorn snails in the tank.
6. Rams : Can I add more GBR's ?
7. Silver Dollars : They are out
8. Giant Danios : How about them ?

Thanks again!
Swanand

swanandmokashi said:
Thanks for all the replies. Few clarifications:

1. Ottos : I never had any luck with Ottos in this tank -- had them successfully in other tanks. I had 4 Ottos to start with and lost 3. I think (or hope) the 4th one is still there in the tank somewhere -- I have never seen him. I am not sure if I want to add any more Ottos.
2. Rainbows : I had 3 initially. One of them went back to the pet store as he was picking on my angelfish (RIP). How many more should I add if I decide to do so?
3. BN pl*co : This is incredible. I was on a look-out for one for some time and saw a few when I went to the pet store yesterday. I got one of these fellows. Do they need company or is 1 enough?
4. Rainbow fish : Can I add just one ? If multiple how many (I know they have to be one or 6+, correct?)
5. Loaches : I have reservations on these, as I have a few ramhorn snails in the tank.
6. Rams : Can I add more GBR's ?
7. Silver Dollars : They are out
8. Giant Danios : How about them ?

Thanks again!
Swanand

1. Sometimes they aren't very hardy, and are in poor health at the lfs, even if they look like they might be healthy.

2. I would say for a 55G, a total of 5 would be fine.

3. A single BN is fine. They don't need to be in groups, they do just fine alone.

4. Do you mean Rainbow Sharks? I probably wouldn't do more than 1, but I have 2 in my 55G with no problems. They have been together since they were real small.

5. It's quite possible the loaches would eliminate the snails. So if you don't want that, then no loaches.

6. You can add more GBR's, but you might see more aggression with each other if they start to spawn. Could do Bolivians as well, there's no aggression issues between my Bolivians and GBR's. Only amongst themselves.

7. No Silver Dollars

8. I've had no experience with Giant Danios. Will let someone else reply to this one.

Back
Top Bottom