Once everything is set, this hobby gets a little boring...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greenmaji said:
I think.. this is just a thought here.. that if you traded out a few of your community fish for some dwarf cichlids or angel fish you'll get some personality into your tank.. JMHO though.. HTH

*edit*dwarf cichlids and angelfish are non digging/tearing up the tank cichlids*edit*

What are dwarf cichlids?

Apistogrammas - Like the cuckatoo, njisseni, German Blue/Bolivian Rams, etc. They are very colorful.

The only issue is that they enjoy pristine water conditions.

With puffers you would need atleast a brackish water tank. They are very amusing to watch, with a lot of personality.

Tony Starks said:
Thanks for all the useful fish setups. I never really thought about angels, but they seem like an interesting fish. Will they take flake food?

Angels will take almost anything you put in the tank...greedy little buggers...really.

I have a Bolivian Ram in my tank and is doing very well. He was just a blah-grey at the LFS, but now has a bright orange tummy and the red in the fins are outstanding. He feeds on flake food, small cichlid pellets, bloodworms, and brine shrimp. Not sure if he's be big enough yet to put vegies in, but might try cucumbers and lettuce in the near future on my clip. Will have to try peas too. Does anyone know about what size they start feeding on other foods like vegies, etc?

I would try the angels Tony. I miss mine (also named Tony) They have so much personality. Constantly begging for food when ever you are near, even eating food right out of your hand. My mistake was getting only one. He turned mean and started chasing my other fish. I think if I had a few of them they would have kept themselves occupied.

Really, I can't see how one gets bored in this hobby...I have been at it for over three decades, and my interest is, if anything, waxing, not waning.
With 62 Aquariums, 2200+ total gallons, it's hard to get bored :)
It's a different situation if you have only one tank and cannot experiment with new fish to any greater extent.

62!! 62!! Please tell me you own a store or something?!

Oh MTS totally, i started off with one, then aquired one from a friend, now i'm setting up another running out of space... Although my original tank hasn't stopped me getting bored, still replanting and trying to get everything in balance, planted tanks are certainly a good challenge...

My third tank is going to be an angel fish tank... i'm really looking forward to that!

One fish that hasn't been mentioned is a tiger barb, i've got 8 of these and they certainly are facinating fish... fully of life!

That's why all my tanks are planted. If I'm not testing nutrients, I'm re-scaping, adding new plants, or simply pruning.

I hate the time of setting up and getting everything arranged and waiting for the tank to settle in. I like the least work possible and I hate waiting.

I have 8 Tiger Barbs in a 90 gal and I never get bored watching them. I will add several more to the tank weekly until I reach 12 minimum or 20 max. I have 3 Otos for clean up work.

I change water often enough to keep the nitrate reading about 20. I need a little algae for the Otos and I see the Tigers picking at it also. But it is so little as to be invisible to my eye sight so I feed the Otos with algae wafers after lights out. For some reason the Tigers ignore the Otos but they will eat the algae wafers if I put them in while the lights are still on.

I once had Angels and they are a beautiful fish. I really liked them, but I think my water was too hard for them and they never lived long. Always caught the Angel fish disease (lfs's ID) and died within a year or so. It may have been the place that I purchased them from that caused the problem. I see on the web that you can get some really beautiful ones from Angel Fish breeders in Florida.

Again my main focus is on watching the fish, seems to relax me after a days work and I think watching them is much better than watching the boob tube. I have had aquariums since about 1996 and I am still learning things every day about aquaria. This is one of the best places I have found for information.

Depending on what community fish you have, you could get a betta. My male betta is the most active and interesting fish in the tank. Despite their behavior in those small cups in a pet store, once they have a whole tank to swim around in they are pretty active and definitely have personality!

Add some cool fish to spice it up.. what do you cureently have? That would help us decide what you could add. I love angel fish and clown loaches, and i found that my Rainbow shark is a wonderful addition , he is about 6" long now and very active in the evenings.

A 6" rainbow shark? That would be so cool. Mine's 4". I've never seen one that's 6". How long have you had him? I had mine 8 months now, he was so small when I first got him. I have a hard time figuring which I like best, my rainbow or my red tail. Both nice fish, and active. But they are fairly aggressive too, so keep that in mind when selecting fish.

I got him when i first got the aqaurium back in march and he was probably about 4" when i got him, i don't really remember, I just now am uploading pics...

img_503631_0_999f41aa58b6871633d69fc1c8b42337.jpg

img_503631_1_7aa8a9814cc979f41269d0f2fc6299c9.jpg

Assuming I can give away the fish I have now that I don't want to keep, would this work:

4x Yellow Labs
4x Bosami Rainbow (Males)
2x Clown Loach
1x Albino BN Pleco

------

The other fish I have in right now are cory cats, neon tetras, whiteclouds, priscella (sp) tetras, and ADFs. Could any of them stay?

I would say keep what you have and add the Raibows, clown loaches, and bristlenose, maybe get rid of some of the tetras or white clouds.

The labs won't cause any problems with the smaller fish? I already have the rainbows and the BN, just looking to add the clowns and the labs.

Back
Top Bottom