One leaf on my amazon sword is turning a little brown? What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sai Sauce

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408257444.645872.jpg it is turning a little brown. I just got it yesterday and I now it turned a bit brown. Should I take it off or leave it? I just added a co2 to grow the plants. Please help, don't want this plant to die. Or is it dying from my nitrate? It's at 20 or 40ppm and how do I get rid of it? I have no more water conditioner and waiting for my order to come.
Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20 or 40

Using My iPad and I Love Fishes! <~8~>

plants eat nitrates that is not the problem
if it is a new plant the leaf was probably bruised in shipping
some plants also drop there leaves when there is a change of water conditions and grow new ones

I bought this at walmart yesterday. But what should I do about that? Just leave it or take it off

Using My iPad and I Love Fishes! <~8~>

Hi I answered in your other thread but in case you don't see it

Amazon swords need root fertilisation, they can't absorb nutrients through their leaves like java fern or anubias do. You'll need to get some root tabs and place that in the substrate near the plants roots.

I see now you say you don't have water conditioner, so cant do a water change which is the best way to get the nitrates down, which you'll need to do for the sake of the animals in the tank (plants love nitrates)

I wouldn't start with CO2 unless you're ready to invest quite a bit of time and effort into getting that right. Growing plants with CO2 requires that you have the correct amount of light as well - a "high light" tank. Not saying you must not do it, lots of people do, but it's something you need to read up about first to make sure you get all the balances correct and dont end up with a tank full of algae.

Pull it off. Hate to disappoint but you will get more brown leaves, just a part of their growth also.
Amazon don't need lots of intense light but they need ferts unlike some other plants that absorb their nutrients from the water.

Back
Top Bottom