One Neon Overeating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,

It sure has been a while since I have posted! I hope everyone is doing well. I have a colony of neon tetras in my tank with my German Blue Rams, Sunset Honey Gourami, and Clown Pleco.

I keep having a weird issue. I keep having one neon tetra that vastly overeats and eventually kills himself. The water parameters are near perfect (40% water changes every week), and the tank is a 25G tank so it is not overcrowded or stressful. When I feed, he acts like he hasn't eaten in weeks and tried to eat all of the food before anyone else can. Again, eventually he will eat so much he dies, and then ANOTHER tetra will take his place and overeat. This cycle has been an issue for months and I cannot figure it out. Help?

Thank you!

How often, how much and what do you feed them?

I feed once a day (in the morning). And I alternate every other day between flake food (Omega One) and frozen food (Sally's Brine Shrimp or Blood Worms). The pleco I feed Omega One Rounds as well that sometimes the tetras will pick at.

Try putting the neon in a separate spot for a while. Kind of like quarantine.

That's weird. With my small fish I like to feed 2x daily or more. Just little amounts.

You might see if that helps. How many Neons ?

I have 15 in my 55g. I've had Neons live up to 4-5yrs in the past. Never seen this problem.

Test your water ??

I originally had 10, and now I am down to 9. My water parameters are also fine and the tank has been cycled for 3 years now... This is baffling me and I cannot figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom