One of my guppies has been lying for extended times, day or night, on the plants, gra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clearing things up:

I have a master test kit picked out on amazon. After school, I will bug my dad to get me one. It is 18$ or so on amazon last time I checked. I will euthanize the fish tomorrow probably, and am holding off on breeding until next summer.

One more question: will this disease spread?

It is possible but not knowing what it is its hard to say if it will or not

Thanks, and I'm sorry. Good luck to you. (I think this was a comment to me, haha)

Thanks, she is getting better in my eyes. What I would do, as your deciding factor to put her down, if she makes a good attempt to swim from your net. If she does, thats a good sign. I had my gbr quarantined and when I went to scoop her, she didn't even try to get away. I pit her back in the main tank to nights ago, and ahe now switches hiding places and swims away from other fish. So I think she's getting better.

Thanks, she is getting better in my eyes. What I would do, as your deciding factor to put her down, if she makes a good attempt to swim from your net. If she does, thats a good sign. I had my gbr quarantined and when I went to scoop her, she didn't even try to get away. I pit her back in the main tank to nights ago, and ahe now switches hiding places and swims away from other fish. So I think she's getting better.

That's good news keep us posted on how she does

I am sorry you lost the fish. The sad fact is that often we can't know why a fish is ill. There is not a great amount known about many things that can happen with ornamental fish, most of the research is done on food fish.

But many ornamental fish today are highly inbred. It is how most new colours are obtained, and it does bring out recessive genes and genes that do not contribute to long life or good health. It is very common to see some fish in a new tankful of young ones in any fish store with spinal deformities or other problems that are related to being inbred. Don't buy fish like that, even if you feel sorry for them you are only buying trouble later.

So your guppy may well have had a hidden genetic defect that did not show up right away. Some don't show up until a certain age, or under certain conditions. It is unfortunate, but often you will never know why a fish has become ill or why they die.

Also, all tank water has organisms in it. They are fungal, ,bacterial & viral. Most of the time, with most healthy fish, none of them cause any problems. Even some parasites will be in there, but a healthy fish with a good immune system has no trouble with them.

But if a fish has another problem, whether it might be genetic, or an injury, then some organisms can invade or take over. This is called opportunistic infection. It can happen to humans too.

So your guppy might have been a bit weak, or slightly injured, and some organism got at her, and she got an infection. Shipping stress can result in this sometimes, and ammonia can make fish very ill, even at low levels. It burns their gills and if not removed quickly, can affect internal organs too. Fish might live, but will have shorter lives and be much more likely to pick up an opportunistic infection later, because they have been permanently damaged.

Poor water conditions, if tank maintenance is not done properly, can also result in opportunistic infections in some fish. Some will be more vulnerable than others, just like not everyone will catch the cold that is going around but some will get very sick with it, and others only a bit sick. Fish vary, it's normal.

It is great you care about your fish. I hope your parents will allow you to get the test kits. If you have the money yourself, you may be able to get one of those 'gift' Visa cards. Some of them can be used to buy online, up to the amount you put on them with your cash. Some can be reloaded. Some banks also have a a type of debit card that can be used to buy online, but you do need a bank account for those.

These cards can be a way to get around not having a regular credit card, which not everyone has, no matter what age they are. Cards you 'buy' are also not linked to any of your personal information, so some people like to use them online for that reason.

Not all online merchants will take them though. Some require that a card have both a billing address and a shipping address that are identical. This is because they are trying to reduce credit card fraud online.

I use Paypal whenever possible, but you need at least one bank account to have a Paypal account, and I am not sure what the age limit is on using Paypal either. Best of luck.

Whoever said freezing a fish is a humane method of euthanasia, I completely disagree. Clove oil is humane, and if you are able to do it quickly, some think beheading is humane, though they say you should pith the brain immediately afterward to be sure the fish feels nothing, since the brain does not die instantly. But freezing is considered cruel now. It was once thought to be ok, but not any more.

If you must euthanize a fish, get clove oil to do it.

I am sorry you lost the fish. The sad fact is that often we can't know why a fish is ill. There is not a great amount known about many things that can happen with ornamental fish, most of the research is done on food fish.

But many ornamental fish today are highly inbred. It is how most new colours are obtained, and it does bring out recessive genes and genes that do not contribute to long life or good health. It is very common to see some fish in a new tankful of young ones in any fish store with spinal deformities or other problems that are related to being inbred. Don't buy fish like that, even if you feel sorry for them you are only buying trouble later.

So your guppy may well have had a hidden genetic defect that did not show up right away. Some don't show up until a certain age, or under certain conditions. It is unfortunate, but often you will never know why a fish has become ill or why they die.

Also, all tank water has organisms in it. They are fungal, ,bacterial & viral. Most of the time, with most healthy fish, none of them cause any problems. Even some parasites will be in there, but a healthy fish with a good immune system has no trouble with them.

But if a fish has another problem, whether it might be genetic, or an injury, then some organisms can invade or take over. This is called opportunistic infection. It can happen to humans too.

So your guppy might have been a bit weak, or slightly injured, and some organism got at her, and she got an infection. Shipping stress can result in this sometimes, and ammonia can make fish very ill, even at low levels. It burns their gills and if not removed quickly, can affect internal organs too. Fish might live, but will have shorter lives and be much more likely to pick up an opportunistic infection later, because they have been permanently damaged.

Poor water conditions, if tank maintenance is not done properly, can also result in opportunistic infections in some fish. Some will be more vulnerable than others, just like not everyone will catch the cold that is going around but some will get very sick with it, and others only a bit sick. Fish vary, it's normal.

It is great you care about your fish. I hope your parents will allow you to get the test kits. If you have the money yourself, you may be able to get one of those 'gift' Visa cards. Some of them can be used to buy online, up to the amount you put on them with your cash. Some can be reloaded. Some banks also have a a type of debit card that can be used to buy online, but you do need a bank account for those.

These cards can be a way to get around not having a regular credit card, which not everyone has, no matter what age they are. Cards you 'buy' are also not linked to any of your personal information, so some people like to use them online for that reason.

Not all online merchants will take them though. Some require that a card have both a billing address and a shipping address that are identical. This is because they are trying to reduce credit card fraud online.

I use Paypal whenever possible, but you need at least one bank account to have a Paypal account, and I am not sure what the age limit is on using Paypal either. Best of luck.

Whoever said freezing a fish is a humane method of euthanasia, I completely disagree. Clove oil is humane, and if you are able to do it quickly, some think beheading is humane, though they say you should pith the brain immediately afterward to be sure the fish feels nothing, since the brain does not die instantly. But freezing is considered cruel now. It was once thought to be ok, but not any more.

If you must euthanize a fish, get clove oil to do it.

Yes, thanks so much. My tank is overstocked, that is true, and I feel horrible about not knowing my ammonia. My male guppy actually got nipped by the zebras about a week ago, and now has another, before that one healed. If this continues, I think I'll get rid of the zebras, and maybe focus on guppies.

Back
Top Bottom