One size fits all?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dresnoone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a pregnant Molly from PetSmart and an external handing double nursery. When she delivered I operated backwards and placed the babies in the tank after they were born, they were all dead except one the net AM. Of course, this was probably a result of me changing the water by 30% and treating it. By the way the external breeding tank I purchased from PetSmart hung at a slant in my tank. It definitely didn’t look too safe. I don’t know why that happened.
This is the third fish to deliver in my tank. I always go into panicked mother mode and start immediately changing 20%-40% of the water and treating it with Tetra 77341 Tetra AquaSafe Fungus Guard Tablets that dissolve like Alka-Seltzer and changes the water green due to the color of the tablet, NutraFin Water Conditioner, and Tetra AlgaeControl. Mind you, I’m trying to build on this hobby while using it to teach my daughter about caring for Mollies, it’s a team project.
I’m scared to place assumed pregnant Mollies in the nursery for fear either she’d die or the fry or all of them. I’m still learning but have only been researching various sites on how to maintain fry and overall a better tank. Nonetheless, I’m taking bits and pieces collaborating the advice obtained from various sites. I am now at a point where I would like to have a single point of entry for advice and suggestions.
How successful has anyone been with raising fry? What size tank do you recommend for 7 Mollies with 3 of them being females?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have raised many fry successfully. Be it they were platys not mollys, I'm sure they're not all that much different. They're very easy to care for, just keep them separated from the adults so they don't get eaten. I fed mine crushed/powdered flake food and everything worked out just fine.

My platties give birth every week, and there are no males in their tank. They store sperm and can have multiple batches of fry after mating with 1 male. I only raise fry from one platy I breed; the rest I leave alone because I don't havethe space to grow them out! Sometimes they grow big enough hiding in the tank plants to not be eaten by the mothers. Livbearers are so easy to raise, but for higher quality growth you should feed foods made specifically for fry. Microworms are great too; they're cheap and easy to culture and fry grow really fast. Crushed flake food is fine, just feed them 4+ times a day and keep the water really clean!

If you dont want more babies you need to separate the malesfrom the females. Otherwise, save the fry you want. There are probably going to be plenty more hiding in your tank that you just dont see ;)

Back
Top Bottom