One tough snail : survived fall out of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my golden mystery decided to jump out of the tank the other night. I have no idea when -- but I found her on the carpet in the morning when I went to feed the fish --- for her to land on the carpet I am sure she got knocked off the top of the tank and then got bounced off the stand and then onto to carpet. I have no idea how long she was on the carpet -- must be around 5-6 hours

So I had this sinking feeling that I will have to "dispose" my dear snail -- so I picked her with a paper towel and she won't let go off the carpet :) and when I picked her finally, she immediately moved her legs -- to my joy !!

She is one tough nut -- however with this accident a part of her shell got chipped -- I have also seen some part of her top getting eroded before the accident as well . So the question is : what can I do to help her build her shell back (I know I have to add calcium but How??)

tia

A piece of cuttlebone for the snail to graze on will provide calcium too. You can get cuttlebone in the bird section of the lfs - it's a necessary mineral supplement for birds.

you can add a SMALL piece of cuttlebone (sold in the bird section of petstores) to the tank, but watch your pH to ensure that it does not change to much. a very small piece is all you need - perhaps the size of a nickel.

Another option is eggshell. Microwave the shell first and drop it in. Again, you need to monitor pH.

I've found www.applesnail.net the best place to learn about anything and everything snail related, including how to repair your snails shell if that's needed. They also have a searchable discussion board.

Good luck with your snail. I had a few escapees myself - right onto the tile floor ! OUCH. Luckily none of the shells were damaged - I figured they'd get shattered ! Now all the holes in the tank top for equipment are stuffed with filter fiber to keep the "kids" in ! LOL

Back
Top Bottom