One week into fish less cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have just completed my first week if the cycle. These are my results ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390522762.456880.jpg

Just a few questions.
1. So does it look like things are going the way they should be?
2. should I re dose my ammonia or is it okay to leave for 2 more days?
3.what are my next steps I should be doing/looking for at this point in my cycle?

Thanks, from a newbie!

It looks like you are already getting a Nitrate reading? Did you use some preseeded material from another tank? I ask because it usually takes a couple of weeks for Nitrates to start showing. You need to keep the ammonia at 1 ppm at least. If it takes a couple of days for it to start dropping than just dose every couple of days. It should start dropping fast though once Nitrates show up. Just keep a check on it and once ammonia goes to 0 in a 24 hour period you are cycled. Keep an eye on the PH. It will take a sudden drop once the cycle gets going and if it drops below 6.5 your beneficial bacteria starts to die. A drop in PH is normal but if it gets low add a little baking soda to get it back up to at least 7. You can do a big water change too to bring it up and keep it steady. Once the Nitrate reading gets to 40 ppm do a big water change to get the nitrites down to 0. Re dose ammonia, check in 24 hours and if it is all gone you are cycled. When adding fish do so slowly. You have to let the beneficial bacteria catch up the the bio load so only add a couple of fish at a time and give the bacteria time to catch up to the load.

Nitrite and nitrate for your first week are excellent but not common; if you aren't using any used media from another tank I would check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and see if it contains any of those.

Your PH is on the high side of the low-end PH test, so you'll want to use the high PH test and see what that reads.

Ammonia looks like it's still at least at 2, so you can leave it for now. It usually takes 1-2 weeks to see an ammonia drop.

Here's the guide if you haven't seen it already: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

I did not seed my tank with any filter media, some of the plants I have however are from my girlfriends tank, could this be why I'm seeing such results after only a week?

Looks like there is ammonia present in your tap water. Take that into consideration when you're dosing up the ammonia.
Also, as Librarygirl stated, you probably need to start using the "High pH" test since you're testing outside the range if the Normal pH test.

Yes, plants from an established tank can help speed up the cycle. The bacteria colonize anything in the tank but prefer the high oxygen of the filter. That will greatly speed up your cycle. Even getting your friend to bring you some of the water that she has cleaned her filter media in and soaking your filter media in it will speed up the cycle. I have gotten almost instant cycling by doing this.

It looks like you have the same problem with your tap water that many of us have. There should be no ammonia in clean tap water but most of us get a surprise when we check it. Goes to show that most municipal water systems are not up to task. You need to use a good water treatment product. I recommend Seachems Prime water treatment product. It helps neutralize the ammonia and nitrite but keeps it available for the bacteria to use. With your tap water showing that much ammonia you are going to need something to protect the fish you eventually add. A filtered water system, even a Brita Pitcher system, can help with the water quality.

So I have just completed my first week if the cycle. These are my results View attachment 218515

Just a few questions.
1. So does it look like things are going the way they should be?
2. should I re dose my ammonia or is it okay to leave for 2 more days?
3.what are my next steps I should be doing/looking for at this point in my cycle?

Thanks, from a newbie!

IMO I would hold off adding any more ammonia until it comes down. Looks like ammonia conversion has started but nitrite conversion has not (yet). The latter might take a while to start. Adding more ammonia will only lead to higher nitrite and a higher nitrite level will not make the cycling go any faster IMO. And the ammonia in your tap should not be a problem during water changes once your filter(s) are established. I just would not perform big water changes and I would use Prime if possible.

I've done fishless cycling using 4 ppm ammonia but I don't see why you can't use 2 ppm instead. I think it would simulate a lower bioload which is what you would be doing with a fish-in cycle anyway.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391037145.529813.jpg 2 weeks into fish less cycle. Thing are starting to change! I'm getting excited!

Back
Top Bottom