Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Only one oto?

So a women I know has one oto catfish in a HALF GALLON bowl by itself without any algae. So someone didn't do their research! I offered to take him for her. I have a 10 gal community tank with peaceful fish and plenty of algae for him, but I am pretty stocked. I know they do best in groups but My question is, can he just be kept alone in my tank without any other otos because I don't have anymore room?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes take the little guy before he starves. Won't be ideal but it will be better

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Otos while a somewhat messy fish do not seem to add a large bio load due to their small size. You might get away with adding one or two more to your tank, depending on how fully stocked the tank is.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are not messy at all. I'd say take it. It's going to die in a matter of days in that bowl. I kept a single Otto very healthy alone in a heavily planted 10g for 8 months (not purposely- the other 2 died).
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe mine are the exception, I've got four otos and they constantly poop

Not like a pleco but there are always strands of poop in the tank.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had one alone for a long time after the other two died... kind of hard to evaluate fish quality of life right, but either way your tank is better than it's current living situation. :P

I will say they do love to interact when there is more than one. I wouldn't get more than one more in a 10 gallon anyway due to food restrictions. Supplemental feeding is hard for these guys. Some take to it, others won't touch anything but algae.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Maybe mine are the exception, I've got four otos and they constantly poop

Not like a pleco but there are always strands of poop in the tank.

Same here.. One of mine loves drift wood .. You can tell by the poop (gross I know) I have 5 in my 200litre and 2 in my 120 litre ... Searching the island for more :/

But yes take him ... Don't leave the poor soul there in his own , at least he will be in a propper tank !
Old 05-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybelle View Post

I will say they do love to interact when there is more than one. I wouldn't get more than one more in a 10 gallon anyway due to food restrictions. Supplemental feeding is hard for these guys. Some take to it, others won't touch anything but algae.
Mine have taken well to zucchini, although they seem to like it better after it has soaked in the tank for 12 hours or so.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Only one oto?

I have two in a well established 10 gallon. They never touch algae wafers, although my Platys tear them up. They love zucchini. I cut it into long pieces and boil for three minutes. Let them cool before you place in tank and remove by three days time. I cook a whole zucchini sliced and freeze it.

They still travel the tank looking for biofilm and algae. There is some food for them even if there is no algae. We originally had one because we bought two and one died on the way home.

We rarely saw the one and bought two more that same week. The three were very active. I came home the other day and one had gotten trapped in a plastic plant. The other two have done great. I love the little guys, they are a lot fun to watch

Tags
oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com