Onyx Sand Experiences (looking at you Corvu *grin*)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked up some Onyx Sand to try in my new 15g tank. Did a search on here, but not much about experiences with it, other then rinse it well (btw, how well is that? If I rinse till the water runs clear, will I reduce its effectiveness?). I'm wondering what folks who have tried it think of it, and how much it buffered their water.

Thanx :)

Darn those folks at SeaChem. They say that you only need to rinse their "Pre-Rinsed" substrates briefly, but that's a bunch of bologna (boloney--the right spelling just isn't phonetically pleasing!).

I find that with these substrates you really need to rinse until the water runs clear. Now you know I've only used Fluorite and Fluorite Red, but I have a feeling the same applies to the Onyx Sand. I tried allowing the Fluorite Red to settle after rinsing it a few times and adding it to my tank, but the water took weeks to clear, and while I did water changes I was still sucking up huge amounts of the silt/clay from between the rest of the larger pieces. And my Fluorite is still perfectly functional. None of my plants seem to be lacking...

Oh, and BTW, I've always wanted to try Onyx. Let me know how it is! Since it's quite fine, I'm still worried about anoxic pockets... What's your strategy with this? And, for that matter, what's your strategy been with the Tahitian Moon Sand you have? That's *really* fine, no?

I have used the Onyx sand. Make sure you have a paint filter/strainer, a bucket, and around 30 minutes to kill. You need to rinse it till the water runs pretty clear. The paint strainer will allow you to keep most of the fine particles but allow the dust to be rinsed off.

I've a pillowcase I bought specifically for rinsing substrates; will that do? It worked well with the Moon sand. I figured I'd give the Onyx a try, as the cost of the Moon sand and the laterite runs about the same.

And I haven't had a prob with anoxic pockets madasa; the plants have sent roots all over the substrate in both tanks, and I don't mess with the sand, so if there is any I'm not exposing it to the rest of the tank. So far so good; even with the rams busy digging their nursery depressions there hasn't been a prob (I'm waiting to see China one day ;) ).

Geez, I hope I never claimed to have the Onyx... cuz I ain't got none 'o that. :oops:

I have the Tahitian Moon Sand by CaribSea. Only black substrate I have.

Didn't hardly rinse it at all.

Edit, I Am a certified Idiot! Had brief discussion w/rex in another thread, said I had Onyx, I Was Wrong!!!

Onyx/Moon Sand=black substrate and I confused myself. Not the first or last time I wil do so. Sorrrrryyyyyyy!!!

LOL Oh thanx corvu! Thank god Rex has had some experience with or I'd be SOL ;)

So Rex *grin* is there any diff between using the Onyx sand and sand with laterite? Anything else I should know about the Onyx as I've never used it before?

Onyx will increase your Kh a little, 1-2 degrees I believe...where as tahitian sand or play sand would not.

whats the difference between the onyx and moon? im thinking of switching my 10g over to black sand from small brown gravel.

Moon sand is just that; sand. Onyx is "naturally source fracted substance" that appears to have high levels of iron and helps buffer the water, which plain sand cannot do. The Tahitian Moon sand is also a really dark black; Onyx sand is more of a grey.

Just as an aside. Tahitian moon sand is *black* for a very good reason, and it is some of the only truly black sand in the world because.....

There are two main types of rock in the world: 1) black oceanic crust created at mid-ocean ridges and hotspots by the moving of magma from the earth's mantle (below the crust) and 2) granitic white-to-gray-to-brown continental rock, which is older than the oceanic crust, silicon-rich, and has risen to the surface of the earth and above the oceans like scum on water because it is lighter than other iron-rich rocks (such as basalt).

Most sand is white to light brown because is is the result of continental erosional processes. Mountains of granite and other similar continental rocks are eroded. The rocks are broken into pebbles and eventually sand and silt, which accumulate at the points farthest from the mountains--beaches (usually).

Tahiti, like Hawaii, is very different from this... It is an island hotspot, not part of a continent, and not made from continental granites. Tahiti is a part of a volcano chain produced by magma (lava that hasn't erupted) that wells up from the mantle of the earth. The magma builds up and creates huge volcanos, and as the Pacific plate (tectonic plate) moves across this unmoving mantle hotspot, multiple volcanos are created in a row, creating an island chain (see Hawaii as the best example of this process).

When these volcanos become high enough to protrude from the water, they become islands, and exposed to the elements. The rain and wind erode the black basalt (the cooled magma) that make up the islands, and this basalt becomes a sand. So, unless you're on a mantle-plume hotspot, you won't find black sand!

Tahiti, Hawaii, and a few choice other hotspots are the only examples of dark black sand in the world because of this amazing geological process. That make sense?

I didn't need to explain that, but I thought some ppl might like to know why Tahitian Moon Sand and Hawaiian black sand are so unique. What a geology nerd I am........................

LOL yes you are madasa.

Speaking of scum, theres an awful lot of it associated with the Onyx sand I'm discovering. Despite rinsing it for ages yesterday, there was still a lot of suspended particles and I had to run the diatom filter this eve. Around the edges of the water surface was grey nasty scum from the sand; took a bunch of paper towels to get rid of it.

The diatom filter cleaned the water up nicely tho, and I grabbed a pic; I'll be adding a few plants this weekend. I also need some decent lighting...saw a coralife light at the lfs today; 96 watts 50/50, but didn't want to spend over $100 for a light that was only going to give me 48 watts of plant lights (plus, 48 watts actinic might be a bit much for a 15g LOL) so its 2 plain old 15 watt bulbs for now.

Thanks for that aside, Madasa. That was great and informative. Now, any ideas why the "Moon" in Carib Sea's product title for its Tahitian Sand? Just a sexy title I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom