Ooohhh Noo! Tradgedy in the chocolate tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the past 2 days, my son has been concerned over the whereabouts of his smaller first osphro, Dolar.

I thought it was just hiding well because my son splashes a little when he does his 25% changes and there are now 8 of them. 4 paras and 4 selantens. Today was the 50% which I have to help with because everything has to be cut off and the water bucket is too heavy.....
Poor Dolar was one of the two smallest fish, she had been sucked up the intake tube of the hob. It has a basket but she was small enough to be trapped in it anyway. As soon as the power was off she dropped out!
The horror! The wailing! "I told you Dolar was in trouble! Dolar is deeeead! Poor dolar!"

And I had to make it a 75% because the water had to be wonky! Last test was Friday.

I have since put fine mesh there to avoid a repeat now! looks hokey, but safety over esthetics! Poor poor fishy..to drown in a dark tube.. *sniff*
i was rather horrified myself......

Thanks..

:cry: My son was very upset..he has been taking the best of care and yet something bad happened. He wants a new filter like yesterday....
He fell asleep leaning on the trunk they set on and watching them closely. Poor fellah.. :(
How can he know that it is a great feat to keep chocolates happy and greater for a near 6 year old to do so? All he sees : dead fish= failure. :|
I am not the most squeamish person but it really spooked me as well.
And now I catch myself counting when they do their surface pilgrimage for air tank refill..

Poor guy, I hope he perks up and takes solace in knowing that was a freak accident and the others are doing well.

Wow, super-sorry to hear it. :( What a bummer! I hope he ends up realizing that it definitely wasn't his fault and he's not to blame; poor guy! (poor fishy too, but your son's contentment is a bit more important right now, methinks.) :|

I used to cry and cry and cry over fish dying when I was little. My brother made it worse because he didn't care one bit and laughed at me, heh :p

awwww - it is very sweet that your son cares enough to be upset - but so sad that he had the occassion to be upset :cry:

He is feeling better now after watching the other shoal around in their ballet. And after testing all his water conditions. Seeing teh "safe color" zeros, out him at ease. I also deflected the current so thay can eat and swim in peace. The intake and outflow was buffeting the entire midsection of the tank..
He wants a "no tank" filter now. He eyes the tube for hours to be sure of fish safety. I did want him out of my hair..but not like that! It is only a 10 gallon, I cannot think what to replace the hob with. 8O UGF is out because it is blackwater conditioned

Back
Top Bottom