Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ooops, did I do that??

I did a water change today and mistakenly dropped the temperature in the tank from 78 to 67 8O . I lost 1 algae eater and minutes later I noticed one of my female kribensis swimming on her side on the bottom . Did the sudden change in temperature play a factor in this, would it cause fish to die so quickly?? I checked all my chemical levels and everything is perfect, except of course the temperature. I am currently raising the temperature as I type this message, It should be back to normal within a few hours. When the temperature gets back to normal, will my krib recover or does this create permanent damage?
Help me please, I can't believe I didn't check the temperature of the water before I put it in, I was in a hurry and wasn't thinking and when I did, it was too late.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Temp

I'm going to venture that the Krib will be OK after the temp comes back up. The fact that the sudden change didn't kill it immediately is good. Actually, I'm surprised you lost the algae eater. However, since they have been stressed, I would watch very closely for any sign of sickness in all the fish in that tank...especially ick. Good luck with it and we all mess up once in a while.
Logan J

Old 12-27-2002, 12:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Re: Water Change

Most fish are reasonably hardy when it comes to a sudden temperature change. Did you prepare your water before you dumped it in?. I'm asking this, as most areas treat the water with chlorine which can be fatal to your fish. Also, a large ph change can be bad too.!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Surprising

I am suprised that the temperature drop killed the algae eater. I have had several temp drops from time to time and never had that problem. I only use cold water in my water changes since any water that passes through the water heater has an increased GH. Did you do a large percentage water change or the normal 10-20%?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com