OOPS! made a mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirgeDevil

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I was browsing at a lfs for some algae eaters, and saw the coolest little fishies, hillstream/butterfly loaches. This store has amazingly healthy fish and great tanks.(a good store to buy from)So, I asked the "fish expert" if they eat algae and he said yes. so I asked him if they could be put into a tropical tank and he also said yes. So I bought two of them. When I got home I did some research on them and It says they are a coldwater species and don't do too well in tropical settings. :crack: (he lied!) So, I lowered the temperature to about 73 degrees, hoping they don't die. Is there anything else I can do to make this work? Or was it a bad idea buying them in the first place and should I give them away? Also, any information on them would be great.

they like strong current !!!
they like driftwood
they 'prefer' coldwater (they can live in tropical)

think of them as a coldwater pleco/bristlenose - and they stay nice and small (maximum 3 inches)

Lowering the temperature in an estabilished tropical tank suddenly is also asking for trouble.. Slow is the way to go with any change(unless that change removes leathal toxins).. HTH

I made the same mistake when I bought my hillstream loach. I have had it for a few months though and it hasn't died yet in my tropical tank. It does hang in the bubble wall alot and seems healthy though I must say it hasn't grown much at all :cry:

Hillstream loaches can be a real heartbreaker. I bought two at one time. Each one went into a different tropical tank (I did not research :oops:). After a month or so, they died within a day of each other. All my other fish were fine :(

I got mine like you, unknowing of their natural habitat, but ive had mine in tropical for 4 months now and it is perfectly happy and active, i think it has adapted to the warmer water and actually grown a bit. When i feed shrimp pellets or algae wafers, he pounces on them!!! Of course i do have a very high current aquarium but my temp is usually around 80, and as i said, hes been in it for over 4 months now!

oh good! So there's a possibility then, i should probably buy some algae wafers for when my algae's running low.

fyi- they were housed in a tropical tank at the lfs, so I'm assuming that they've been in tropical conditions before and moving them to my tank wont stress them out too much.

edit- I put an airstone in the tank for extra oxygen, my guppies don't seem to like it, but I don't like them anyway so they can just deal with it. lol

DirgeDevil said:
edit- I put an airstone in the tank for extra oxygen, my guppies don't seem to like it, but I don't like them anyway so they can just deal with it. lol
LMAO !!!!!!!!!

hahahaahahahahahahhah

i'm feeling you!
been there, done that

:wink:

good luck :)
IN my opinion, they are better off in your aquarium than the fish store anyway, so taking them back will probably only kill it faster :|

Back
Top Bottom