Opaline/Blue Gourami question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolinagirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering about my opaline/blue gourami and maybe someone here can answer a question for me. Why do they change colors? Hes normally a light blue but every now and then I look and hes a navy blue. Is this normal? He seems to be happy and healthy so I am just curious!! Thanks! :)

I have two blue and two opaline gourami. The blues have always stayed blue. The opaline are blue with dark markings. The colors have of course changed a little as they have gotten older, but thats all.

Hey y'all I'm sorry to cut in but I figured since the post was about blue gourami I maybe able to squeeze in a question as well. Hope I don't step on any toes. I just got a blue for my 55 and was wondering if maybe y'all wouldn't mind helping me figure out the sex of my finned friend. Its the first one I've had so I'm kinda lost. Here's a pic of Patrick/Patricia lol

ForumRunner_20111229_114247.jpg

I'm about as lost as you are when it comes to these fish lol... I hasn't even figure out why mine changes colors. Seems when the weather drops he turns colors. Is like to know how to tell the sex as well!

Dorsal fin on male is pointed and longer. On the females its more rounded and shorter. Males are also usually smaller than females.

I was just wondering about my opaline/blue gourami and maybe someone here can answer a question for me. Why do they change colors? Hes normally a light blue but every now and then I look and hes a navy blue. Is this normal? He seems to be happy and healthy so I am just curious!! Thanks! :)

First, what up Carolina. My opaline does this as well, I have researched it and found that they will darken/lighten when stressed, excited, or breeding. When I brought mine home he was very dark, but now stays light normally. Hope it goes well for you.

Reactions: HN1
JoeBob is exactly right. It is typically a stress indicator. Give them time to settle in and you'll see less of it except for at lights on.

I have a blue and opaline also. I have a gold and moonlight currently too. I have had pearl, dwarf, snakeskin, and others, almost every kind of gourami. They change shades alot. When they feed they become faded, when they "fight" they get very bright. I have had the blue for over 3 years, and the opaline for over 2, and they change color almost daily, so I wouoldnt be worried about it its normal.

Many fish change color due to their "mood". It just depends on what's going on. I would be worried too much if it is just anal changes and you can directly link them to a particular activity or situation. If he starts going pale on you or there is a drastic change that has no reason, then there is an issue that needs to be very closely watched.

Ok...it seems he changes colors at night or around feeding time. I have 3 gouramis total, I have him and 2 kissing gouramis and he seems to bully everyone else in the tank so I don't see how he would be stressed, but I'm new to the fish keeping hobby so maybe something is dressing him that I dont see! I will say that he seems happy and I have had him for a couple months now and hes growing just fine and I haven't noticed any problems with him other than the changing of colors! Thanks for all the comments!

I have another question about this fish. Has anybody else noticed their gourami see his reflection and try to fight it. The past couple days I've noticed mine go to the side of the tank and he swims by, notices his reflection, and starts bumping his mouth against the glass and tries swimming to get "the other fish"? Its funny to watch cause I don't think hes hurting himself but at the same time kinda strange!

Guessing that one is a male. Male gourami don't tolerate one another well at all.

Yeah I had to get rid of one cause this one bullied it so much. But he doesn't seem to be tolerating himself at the moment cause he just started this fighting with his reflection.

Back
Top Bottom