Opaline Gourami and Angelfish not getting along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We were given a 55 gallon tank from a friend who upgrade to a larger tank. We got it all setup and started to cycle it with 2 goldfish. A few days after we added 2 Bala sharks, 2 Angelfish, and 2 Gourami (1 gold and 1 opaline). The next day one of the Angelfish didn't make it. Took it back to the LFS where I got them along with a sample of the water to test. Water tested fine and he said possibly the other Angelfish attacked it. It's been about a week since and we haven't yet added any other fish. During the last few days the remaining Angelfish has been keeping to himself and not really swimming around the tank like the other fish. Usually it just hangs out in one of a few spots. I noticed tonight that the opaline colored Gourami is the one that is nipping at the Angelfish. This Gourami also chases around the gold Gourami, but that seems to be more of a playful manner. Any ideas on what I can do?

We were given a 55 gallon tank from a friend who upgrade to a larger tank. We got it all setup and started to cycle it with 2 goldfish. A few days after we added 2 Bala sharks, 2 Angelfish, and 2 Gourami (1 gold and 1 opaline). The next day one of the Angelfish didn't make it. Took it back to the LFS where I got them along with a sample of the water to test. Water tested fine and he said possibly the other Angelfish attacked it. It's been about a week since and we haven't yet added any other fish. During the last few days the remaining Angelfish has been keeping to himself and not really swimming around the tank like the other fish. Usually it just hangs out in one of a few spots. I noticed tonight that the opaline colored Gourami is the one that is nipping at the Angelfish. This Gourami also chases around the gold Gourami, but that seems to be more of a playful manner. Any ideas on what I can do?

I dont think gouramis and angels is a great idea unless you get a peaceful gourami like a dwarf or a pearl.

You may want to add more gourami so that the nipping will be among the gourami. If that doesn't help then get rid of the angel, or take the gourami all back and get more angels.

I have 4 gourami's and two angels in my 59g. I think the aggression needs to be spread between the gourami's, get another female or two.

Well first off definitely get rid of the balsa they get 12-14 inches and need a bare minimum of a 125 gallon better with a.180 gallon.

Also Gouramis and angels do not do well together I would either keep 2 angels or just 1 Gourami since they will start to kill each other soon. Do you still have the goldfish in there to?

I had originally stocked my 75 with 1 angel and 5 gourami (all three spot color variants) and that worked well. 1 male and 4 females. None of them came near the angel, just squabbled amongst themselves. So perhaps adding more will help. And yes I agree the balas must go back. Sorry, but they get huge and do best in groups. Hard to house them properly.

Angelfish and opaline gourami are a bad mix, and I can tell you that from experience. The gourami did nothing but harass the angels and destroy their fins. Got tired of seeing the bullying so I had to get rid of the gourami. The one angel that Got harassed bad is still in the process of healing a month - 2 months after the removal.
Not trying to sound as if I'm hating on the opaline gourami, but my tank has been thriving ever since, everything is more lively, and there has been no compatibility issues between any fish.

Well first off definitely get rid of the balsa they get 12-14 inches and need a bare minimum of a 125 gallon better with a.180 gallon.

Also Gouramis and angels do not do well together I would either keep 2 angels or just 1 Gourami since they will start to kill each other soon. Do you still have the goldfish in there to?

Yes the goldfish are still in there

Angelfish and opaline gourami are a bad mix, and I can tell you that from experience. The gourami did nothing but harass the angels and destroy their fins. Got tired of seeing the bullying so I had to get rid of the gourami. The one angel that Got harassed bad is still in the process of healing a month - 2 months after the removal.
Not trying to sound as if I'm hating on the opaline gourami, but my tank has been thriving ever since, everything is more lively, and there has been no compatibility issues between any fish.

So is this something specific with the opaline?

Definitely remove the goldfish as well as the balas. Like I said balas don't belong in a 55 gallon. The Goldfish don't mix well with tropical a they put out loads of ammonia and need cold water.

So I'm leaning towards getting more gourami to see if the opaline then calms down. Any specific color or male/female I should be getting? Can I keep the Balas until they get larger or should I take them back?

I have had the best expirtence doing a solo opaline or gold gourami, here's a stock that has worked well for me in the past in a 55 gallon.

1- Opaline or Gold gourami
1- Red tailed shark
7- Serpae tetras
1- Bn Pleco
6- Penguin tetras

This tank had lots of color and movement I really liked it.

I would take back the balas now and get rid of the goldfish to. Gold/ Opalines can get very territorial towards other gouramis and won't stop harassing the smaller one.

I have the best expirtence doing a solo opaline or gold gourami, here's a stock that has worked well for me in the past in a 55 gallon.

1- Red tailed shark
7- Serpae tetras
1- Bn Pleco
6- Penguin tetras

I would take back the balas now and get rid of the goldfish to. Gold/ Opalines can get very territorial towards other gouramis and won't stop harassing the smaller one.

Thanks

The next fish I was looking at getting were Beckford Pencilfish and Chili Rasboras. Would it be best to remove the gold Gourami since that seems to be the less aggressive one?

I would keep the least aggressive one. The beckford pencil fish would do great! But I think with a gold or opaline the chili rasboras would get eaten.

I have heard of them being nippy but I have never seen one nip any of my gouramis as long as they are in a large group I think they do fine.

I have had the best expirtence doing a solo opaline or gold gourami, here's a stock that has worked well for me in the past in a 55 gallon.

1- Red tailed shark
7- Serpae tetras
1- Bn Pleco
6- Penguin tetras

I like the red tailed shark. It's listed as semi-agressive. Would it be fine with the angelfish and gourami?

Well the angelfish didn't make it. Opaline will be going back.

The red tailed will be fine with a gourami. Just give him plenty of caves.

The red tailed will be fine with a gourami. Just give him plenty of caves.

Any fish that it wouldn't be fine with along the lines of pencil fish, tetras, mollies, guppies, etc?

Back
Top Bottom