Open to Any suggestions(Bad Nitrates)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadsea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well seems to always happen, have the tanks going well, and sum not, while monitoring water parameters as usual and it happens. I cant understand the nitrates, even though im well aware that most have this problem to, but Y. I have old tanks and newer tanks and it doesnt matter what i do. I keep the light levels low, I check water b4 and after changes, I clean, I try alge eaters, more frequent water changes, less food or better feeding(so i dont over feed).I have one example that i cant understand more then most. I have 2 55g tanks with one a little overcrowded so i can understand that one,but the other has 2 or 3 fish and the same results with hardly any light? Any one with ideas in how to keep the alge down(minus the plants,wont work in my case),and or nitrates.I have more than enough filtration, water movement,ect... The other tank has different filter with same problem. Thanks for reading long write,had to vent a bit.

Well, more frequent pwc's will lower your nitrates and therefore quell some of your algae problems. Unless you have high trates in your source water.

What do u consider more p.w. changes, I can change it 4-5 times(40+ percent) in about 2wks and it will hardly change and if it does, it will back within 2 days. And for the water being put back in has zero nitrates, and i clean filters in old water from tank,just to make sure i dont kill any good bacteria needed for chemistry.I dont know anymore, I even tryd different filter media

i had the same problem, what i did was make i little moving bed filter with a empty bottle, an air pump and some cut up straws (have a look on youtube for a build guide) and it took them down to 0 in 2 days !!!

Back
Top Bottom