open top aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may seem like a basic question but I have only dealt with my closed top aquarium, but can you run a heated aquarium with an open top. I have a spare aquarium that used to have goldfish in it and want to convert it into a tropical.

Do you need lights to run an aquarium? Will heat just escape so you have to have a high power heater?

If it is not possible I could always get a lid but I was just curious to find out whethher it would work.

you dont HAVE to have lights in you're aquarium, unless you have live plants....it should be fine with a heater, some heat will escape but not enough to screw up the heater itself(it'll just have to work a it harder) but you can always go to your local petstore or mom and pop store and find a lid that will fit....or try ordering on the web....lids and lights are pretty cheap overall

A lid is not required but may be useful for preventing fish escapes, debris from falling into the water, and cat invasions :p It also will slow down water loss from evaporation.
Regarding the heater & lights I agree with mr86mister:
you dont HAVE to have lights in you're aquarium, unless you have live plants....it should be fine with a heater, some heat will escape but not enough to screw up the heater itself(it'll just have to work a it harder)

Cheers!

You can always have a piece of glass cut to the exact size of the top of the tank, and use that as a lid.
Best to use a lid if you're going to heat it, you will save money in the long run, because your heater will have to work harder, and use more energy to keep the water warm.

As mr86mister said, you don't need lights.

It doesn't need to be glass, but you have to put something over your tank to keep the fish from jumping out. There are a lot of people who remove the glass and put egg crate down instead. Yes your heater works a little harder, and you lose water quicker to evaporation. But it also helps with the water surface to air gas exchange.

You can create an instant lid out of plastic mesh. It's super cheap and it can be found at any craft store or Wal-Mart. Just cut it to the size of your tank and plop it on. Many fish can (and will) jump out of an open tank, so a lid is a quick and easy solution to prevent fish loss.

If your fish are jumpers I would get a canopy of some type.

You don't NEED light unless you are trying to grow plants. Is there a natural light source you could use?

HTH

Joe

fish need a stable photoperiod to be in good heath.. If the room has good natural light this might work.. if not youll need some type of light. a lamp beside it maybe on a table on a timer would work for a light.. keep in mind this is a fish only setup..
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thanks, As I am planning to put the tank in a south facing room so there might not be enough light. i think i will try to find an inexpensive lid coz that is what seems to be the solution with the least stress after all! :D

Back
Top Bottom