Opinion on Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So would you recommend sand?

It comes down to personal opinion, most people end up switching to sand while some just prefer gravel.

Both work well and the same amount of detritus is in the tank either way, the only difference is how you remove it.

I will add though, that live plants seem to work much better in sand.

Agh; I already bought gravel.

Should I just go and get pool filter sand?

You might as well give the gravel a try since I'm assuming you can't return it. Its not difficult to switch substrate on a tank that size. I've done it 4 times on my 10g planted tank.

View attachment 239065 I got this stuff from Petsmart, it was labeled as sand

I am using the same gravel in my 75g tank and didn't think it through when I bought it. I think I got lucky as I have 4 Angelicus Botia loaches and they seem to do okay on it. I was considering swapping it out for sand, but I think I'll stick with it for now.

Anyone else have loaches that do well on this gravel?

The gravel is washed and is in a bucket. I'll be taking the old gravel out the tank anyways, might as well get what's enter for my tank. I also need another bag of gravel, which is $6. But then I could buy 25lbs of sand for only $10.

They sell them at Leslie's for cheap. Oh, and Leslie's are already closed if your in the California area. I've tried to go.

They only come in about 2 sizes, 25 and 50 pounds.

They're usually pretty cheap.

Remember 1 - 2 1/2 pounds for each gallon of water you have.

I've used play sand and, as mentioned above, initially very dirty (took forever to rinse) and water was still cloudy at start up. Took a few water changes to clear up. Did not know about PFS at the time. I have switched to CaribSea EcoComplete (black, regular grain) to help with growing plants.
Just a reminder with ALL substrates: keep your magnetic impeller driven filters off when adding it or heavily stirring it up. Even small particles can reek havoc on the filters impeller. A prefilter sponge can help prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom