Opinions on this Craigslist deal, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I've been interested in getting a 55 gal with a stand and whatever other goodies the seller would be throwing in. However, this great deal caught my eye: https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/for/5294636327.html

I'm really considering going for it, because the price is really nice for the tank, stand, lights, 3 filters and a heater thrown in!

However, the only aquarium experience I have is maintaining a 29 gal. I wouldn't be setting up another aquarium just yet, just holding onto it until I move out (I'd be keeping this set up at my grandma's for space reasons). How much more maintainence is a 125 gal?

No idea what I'd put in it but I'm interested in keeping boesemani rainbowfish and zebra loaches amongst other things, and have had success with live plants, so definitely a planted tank!

You'll need to make sure the place you put the aquarium can support that much weight. A tank that size will weigh over half a ton.
PWCs will use more water, so you might expect a higher water bill.
Electricity bill will be higher too since you'll need higher wattage heaters... possibly multiple heaters at that.
Water flow/circulation will be more difficult, so you'll probably want some sort of circulation pump... maybe two, depending on the stock.
You also might want to think about doing a sump filter set up. It might be better in the long run for a larger tank like that.
Other than that, you'll have more glass to squeegee algae off of.
The good news is that water parameters get more stable as the water volume increases. Also, you're stocking options expand quite a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You'll need to make sure the place you put the aquarium can support that much weight. A tank that size will weigh over half a ton.
PWCs will use more water, so you might expect a higher water bill.
Electricity bill will be higher too since you'll need higher wattage heaters... possibly multiple heaters at that.
Water flow/circulation will be more difficult, so you'll probably want some sort of circulation pump... maybe two, depending on the stock.
You also might want to think about doing a sump filter set up. It might be better in the long run for a larger tank like that.
Other than that, you'll have more glass to squeegee algae off of.
The good news is that water parameters get more stable as the water volume increases. Also, you're stocking options expand quite a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This covered about all of it. Overall looks like a good deal if you are up for it though.

Caleb

What's a sump? Or a circulation pump?

The three filters the seller is including is an aqueon 55/75, whisper 60 (i think) and a penguin 400. Are three hobs good enough? I can tell from the picture he's got them spaced out. And he's also throwing in a 300w heater, but I can easily purchase another no problem.

I won't be setting up any new aquarium for a year or two (until i mpve out), so I don't have any immediate pressures.

I only have experience with hob filters, but was potentially looking into a sunsun cannister filter with a built-in uv sterilizer. Good idea to mix cannister with hob?

What's a sump? Or a circulation pump?

The three filters the seller is including is an aqueon 55/75, whisper 60 (i think) and a penguin 400. Are three hobs good enough? I can tell from the picture he's got them spaced out. And he's also throwing in a 300w heater, but I can easily purchase another no problem.

I won't be setting up any new aquarium for a year or two (until i mpve out), so I don't have any immediate pressures.

I only have experience with hob filters, but was potentially looking into a sunsun cannister filter with a built-in uv sterilizer. Good idea to mix cannister with hob?

Sump is in no way necessary though IMO is a bit more efficient than a standard filter. Sumps are commonly used in saltwater and very large tanks. Basically, it's a smaller tank under a bigger tank. In this smaller tank, you can have all your equipment such as heaters, etc.

Here's an example of a tank I'm setting up right now that is drilled for a sump:

http://imgur.com/oshkv4G

http://imgur.com/RlSlUjy

A circulation pump is just a powerhead. It's small and pushes water creating flow in the tank and prevents dead spots where water can become stagnant.

A 300w won't be enough for that tank. A 300w is equivalent to a 75g tank.

Heaters follow a 5wpg rule.

5x125= 625

625-300= 325

So you need 325 more watts to hear your tank sufficiently.

Caleb

After a google search, I can see how sumps can be useful, but I'm not much of a builder/diy person, so I don't think that's a route I'll take. And I do know what powerheads are! I suppose getting 2-3 powerheads would add good circulation and prevent dead spots too?

I knew 300w was closer to a 75g but wow! Looks like I'll need a few more heaters if I get this deal haha.

I know the electricity and water bill will be higher with this tank, that's obvious :p and the weight too heh, but are aquariums this size too much for a newbie? At least in the Craigslist in my area, 250-300 is the common price range people are selling their 40 gal or 55 gal set ups, just this one comes witha nice stand, which is a major concern for me. Yay stands!

Just buy it, u know u want to, we know u want to, otherwise u wouldn't have started this topic, big tanks are awesome, the enjoyment u get from them far outweighs the maintenance

It looks nice. Just in case I'd check the stand and make sure no damage or swelled wood. Also check no damage to glass or tank edges and how old. Just the usual as pretty tempting buy.

Canister filters are what I use on mine with an internal filter that is also a powerhead. Sumps may also be possible if you wish so check what access there is for pipes, etc in the cupboards. Canisters are pretty easy to set up.

Anything over 2ft high (maybe 1.5ft) is in imo harder for growing plants. The red light really gets soaked up trying to get it down to substrate level. So lights have to be good if looking at a planted tank.

Other than that I think it is just preference. Do you like smaller tanks that are maybe a bit more limiting on stocking size but you can have different bio-types. Or a larger tank with more stock options.

If you want boesemanis I would go bigger than a 55. Those dudes are crazy swimmers!

If you want boesemanis I would go bigger than a 55. Those dudes are crazy swimmers!

I've heard they're very active, which will be nice to watch, but why not bigger than a 55?

I kept checking Craiglist and the same guy posted a 72 bowfront with a stand in a style that I love!! I don't think he'll be including any filters/heaters with the 72, but he's including lids and lights, which is perfect for me :)

Should boesemani rainbows and zebra loaches be fine in a 72 bowfront? I think I'll go for the 72 because it's smaller, I like the stand better and it won't cost me an arm and a leg in pwcs haha.

Since I don't think it'll be coming with a filter, I've been looking into a few: fluval c4, aquaclear 70 or 110, or one of the sunsun canisters with uv sterilizer. I have experience using 2 hobs simultaneously so I'm fine with using 2 filters, but any opinions on these? Or suggestions?

I don't quite know what I'd put in the 72, but most of the fish I've been interested in have a light or medium bio-load.

I think a 72 would be better for growing plants too...? I must say, after having success in my 29 gallon I love planted tanks!

Ohhh I misread this! I apologize haha. So a 72 would be big enough? I think I'd have to wait 5+ years if I were to get the 125 because of the size/weight.

I don't know offhand what the dimensions of a 72 are but the more horizontal space the better. Of course you could keep them in either but I just think bigger is better. They're very active fish and do a lot of chasing so they need space and places to hide out. I had mine in a 55 and they were preventing other skittish fish from eating because they were so boisterous...my mistake...Anyway I think they would work well with zebra loaches. Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

I believe the Craiglist seller listed the horizontal length as 48", which I believe is the same as a 55? I wholeheartedly agree that bigger is better for the fish, but depending on where I live in the next 3 to 5 years, I don't think i could use the 125 :(

Back
Top Bottom