Opionions on cracked glass (amazing picture included)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased a 45 gallon aquarium setup used, and everything is beautiful. I am still cleaning it up. But I noticed today that the aquarium has a small crack at the top corner. It is ~ 2inches long, and goes diagonally from one seal to another.
Here is an artist's depiction :)

CoreyAquarium.gif

I think I may have caused it, as the seller seemed like a very honest guy, and I had contorted the tank a little bit to help water seep out when I got it home.

I was wondering if this crack will cause me any problems, and if so, if it could be fixed? It can't possibly get bigger, because it already meets two ends of the glass (ie. there's no more glass that can be cracked). Is the fact that it ends at two seals a good or bad thing?
Since it's at the top, I was thinking I could just fill it up to the crack, but I wasn't sure it that would be dangerous or not.
Any input is appreciated,
Thanks!

Wow. That was amazing.

If anyone ever wanted a crack in their aquarium, that is exactly where they would want it. At the top there is a lot less stress. You might even be all right to fill it above the cracked area. If you are worried you can put a little aquarium sealant or water-safe epoxy on the inside of the crack.

Agreed .... seal the crack with silicone, turn the tank so it is at the back & you are good to go!

If you want the crack fixed, you'll need to replace the entire pane of glass .... which I don't think is necessary in this case.

I agree on all counts.
Seal it and make it the back....and the picture is indeed amazing.

Fatz

Haha, thanks a lot guys. It was too difficult to take a picture with my digital camera, so I used my MS Paint expertise :)
That makes me feel a lot better that the crack shouldn't be a problem. I put it in the back, you can hardly see it. I finished cleaning up the tank/gravel tonight and will try a test fill tomorrow - hopefully no leaks.
I'm super pumped about this setup - it's my first substantially sized tank, can't wait to get my guys in :)

Back
Top Bottom