oranda diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sinking pellets for a staple (NLS is what I have), frozen peas (defrosted/shelled) once a week is good for keeping them cleaned out and zucchini. I keep plenty of Anacharis in my goldie tank that they love to munch on.

Agreed. NLS exclusively for mine, peas never hurt goldfish. Mine also have live plants (giant onion, lotus, red arrowhead, many many more in the past).

Sinking pellets for a staple (NLS is what I have), frozen peas (defrosted/shelled) once a week is good for keeping them cleaned out and zucchini. I keep plenty of Anacharis in my goldie tank that they love to munch on.

What is nls and can you use canned peas

Use sinkin foods. Apparently when they eat food on the surface they suck air into themselves and because they are oddly shaped they are more prone to bloat and mixed up organs which will lead to swim problems.

Use sinkin foods. Apparently when they eat food on the surface they suck air into themselves and because they are oddly shaped they are more prone to bloat and mixed up organs which will lead to swim problems.

What pellet is goood for an oranda

NLS is a brand of pellets. You can use frozen or canned peas, just squish them out of the little shell before you push them in. I usually keep a baggie in the freezer and defrost them right before feeding so as not to waste.

orandafan12 said:
How would you feed an oranda. By hand

Nope just drop them in. Goldies are forever scouring for food (booking) and the peas (I'd say 3 for your oranda) should be gone in no time. My 3 don't even let them hit the gravel before they're gobbled up lol.

Nope just drop them in. Goldies are forever scouring for food (booking) and the peas (I'd say 3 for your oranda) should be gone in no time. My 3 don't even let them hit the gravel before they're gobbled up lol.

Also which nls pellets should i buy and where can i buy them

I like the Thera A+ version for all my fish. Google it and you should see online and local outlets, but my Petco has it so maybe check there.

How many pellets for each feeding? Im getting a 3-4in oranda when my cyxle is done

orandafan12 said:
How many pellets for each feeding? Im getting a 3-4in oranda when my cyxle is done

Hard to say, depends on each fish and appetite IME and they make different sized pellets so consider the size of your fish when your first get it. Smaller pellets are easier for young fish to eat and as it grows up, it'll just want more of them lol.

Are you only getting one goldie and how big is the tank? Goldies love other goldies as tank mates, but the first one will need 20g and each additional one will need 10g each at some point (6-12 months). Also they are messy (pooping machines), so extra filtraion is my best recommendation (double at least IMO).

Hard to say, depends on each fish and appetite IME and they make different sized pellets so consider the size of your fish when your first get it. Smaller pellets are easier for young fish to eat and as it grows up, it'll just want more of them lol.

Are you only getting one goldie and how big is the tank? Goldies love other goldies as tank mates, but the first one will need 20g and each additional one will need 10g each at some point (6-12 months). Also they are messy (pooping machines), so extra filtraion is my best recommendation (double at least IMO).

I have a 20 gallon with an aqua clear 200 which is rated for 30-50 i think and yes only gettong one oranda i cant afford a 30 gallon yet

orandafan12 said:
I have a 20 gallon with an aqua clear 200 which is rated for 30-50 i think and yes only gettong one oranda i cant afford a 30 gallon yet

It's a good start, but just as an FYI Petco has a $1 per gallon sale going on right now, so a 40g breeder is $40 instead of the usual $80+ at my Petco :D.

It's a good start, but just as an FYI Petco has a $1 per gallon sale going on right now, so a 40g breeder is $40 instead of the usual $80+ at my Petco :D.

Thanks for the heads up. Also i tried to seed my tank with a filter my friend gave me. But i think the one he gave me had fin rot from his tank. I only left it thier for t min would this effect the water

Thanks for the heads up. Also i tried to seed my tank with a filter my friend gave me. But i think the one he gave me had fin rot from his tank. I only left it thier for t min would this effect the water

Not sure of the fin rot issue, but if all you have in your tank during the fishless cycle is ammo, I'd think you'll be OK once it's fully cycled. You might want to do a bit of research on it to see if/how long it could linger.

How's you cycle going? Water parameters? are you following a fishless cycling guide?

Not sure of the fin rot issue, but if all you have in your tank during the fishless cycle is ammo, I'd think you'll be OK once it's fully cycled. You might want to do a bit of research on it to see if/how long it could linger.

How's you cycle going? Water parameters? are you following a fishless cycling guide?

I just barely added ammonia yesterday. I use the guide. Also when i put ammonia in the tank it already had nitrites. Would this effect the cycle and all paremeters are good

Back
Top Bottom