Order of stocking fish for new 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
Ok, since this is my first tank ever, I need lots of advice. I am starting a planted tank around wednesday and need to know what order I should stock my tank to begin cycling. In total, I would like to have 3 dwarf puffers, 2-4 otos, and 2 dwarf clawed frogs. Is there any certain order these guys should be introduced? Should I use a heartier fish to allow my tank to cycle first? I plan on seeding my tank with microbes from a friend's tank. It is my understanding that I can add fish immediatly after planting. How should I go about adding the fauna? Thanks!

In order to help you out, need a little more info on your planned set-up.

~How much lighting (wpg) will you have?
~What type of substrate?
~What kind of plants are you looking to start with?

1.5wpg with 2 inches of eco-complete covered with 1 inch of tahitian moon sand. I'm not sure what plants I'm starting off with exactly, but probably java fern/moss, anubias, and crypts. I hope this helps a bit. I've heard that it is better to plant more plants in order to keep algae down, so that is also in the plan.

Also, you might have a problem with the puffers in a tank that size. Not sure myself, as I have only ever kept a few of them, and those were mostly in a much larger tank. As for the plants, put all of those in first, as they really will cut down the cycle time by a big factor. Cant really say much about the frogs since i have never had any desire to put them in any tank or keep them at all.

Back
Top Bottom