Ornaments - stack central or spread out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just looking - I found this?

I gather the flourite is no good?

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4014&catID=65

I should add I think I have about 20 to 30 kilograms (40 to 60 punds?) in there now and plan is to add 10 kilos of something to go with the gravel. Mainly to increase substrate thickness but also anything that helps the plants. I had been adding some api laterite but it's too expensive for this.

Last edited:
Not saying fluorite is no good. Just a hassle to prep properly and lots of water changes if you don't.
The EcoComplete listed is about double what one pays in the states (US).
Perhaps you should look into substrate fertilizers such as AquaFertz (through AquariumPlants.com though I am not certain if they ship international) or DYI osmocote+ tablets (e.g. - Mebbid's root tabs). Plants can grow successfully in non-specialized substrates such as sand or gravel given the proper substrate fertilizers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not saying fluorite is no good. Just a hassle to prep properly and lots of water changes if you don't.
The EcoComplete listed is about double what one pays in the states (US).
Perhaps you should look into substrate fertilizers such as AquaFertz (through AquariumPlants.com though I am not certain if they ship international) or DYI osmocote+ tablets (e.g. - Mebbid's root tabs). Plants can grow successfully in non-specialized substrates such as sand or gravel given the proper substrate fertilizers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ah, ok - will keep looking and thinking. Will check those out. Thanks for the advice.

I remember the last lot of API laterite clay was a mud bath in the tank as I didn't wash well enough :)

I also know I can get aquaponics baked clay balls at hardware and break them up but I figure I'd have to crush and screen them a bit. They are cheap so tempted to try.

Postage is a killer here. And finding it in stock. But I figure once in tank it should last for a long time so thinking I'm just going to have to take the plunge. Posted on the local forum to see what pops up - I've noticed small bags of planted tank substrates starting to make their way into stores so must be some interest out there.

Got frustrated last night with the postage system and ordered seachem fluorite (red). I was planning to order a bit of everything but the postage ranged up to $48 and was getting ridiculous.

Pretty sure I can get the eco-complete locally (well hour drive to lfs further away) or on cheaper postage (just need to remember which shop) so also still planning to get some of that.

Still this should be better than gravel either way. So now have larger co2 bottle with second one for back up, new lights to get rid of disco effect from LEDs and tank re-arranged to be easier to work in. Happy with progress :). Not buying replacement LEDs kind of means I have money to spend elsewhere on co2 and substrate so I think that balances :)

Thinking I might just pull plants out so I can mix substrate better but will look and see once bags arrive.

Bn catfish seem to have resettled ok. Noticed other fish hang around centre more now.

Back
Top Bottom