Oscar vs Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you think plants will fare off? Real and or fake plants. Ive never actually tried plants with em but id like to.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sure some plants would fair better than others. I also think the oscar could damage plants that it doesn't necessarily intend to, either uprooting them or breaking them.

Regarding fake plants, my severum moves them around the tank as it sees fit. One of it's endearing qualities :)

I'm sure some plants would fair better than others. I also think the oscar could damage plants that it doesn't necessarily intend to, either uprooting them or breaking them.

Regarding fake plants, my severum moves them around the tank as it sees fit. One of it's endearing qualities :)

haha thats pretty funny and innovative of his part ^-^i guess ill try out plants since both my fishies are current youngsters they might adspt hopefully.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plants that will have the best chance against the wet puppies are ones that either grow too fast for the Oscar to trash, or durable ones that root in driftwood & rocks, like Bolbitis or Anubias. Amazon Swords sometimes work as well if you can protect their roots under rocks/inside planters. Depends on the personality of your Oscar and how big it is. If you can let the plant get established before letting the Oscar get at it, that will also improve it's chances.

Plastic plants should stand up fairly well, just be aware that they're going to get rearranged as the Oscar sees fit ;)

Back
Top Bottom