Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking of setting up my 55ga as an Oscar tank. Would love to have any opinions.. How many fish to put in, what kind, etc. thanks :)

You could prolly do 1 oscar..you need good filteration though and have to keep up with wc's. There will be alot of different views for that though. Many think 55 isn't enough.

If your hell bent on an Oscar and can't get at least a 75 gallon I wouldn't do it. With that said. If you do it anyway. You'll need some really good filtration like a good canister or two aqua clear 110's. I'd also recommend bare bottom as its easier to clean. You can put a nice piece of driftwood or some rocks but leave it pretty much open fe the fish to be able to move around.

Leave the decor to a minimum so it can easily be removed for cleaning.

Just my opinion, I've never owned an Oscar.

The biggest oscar I've ever seen was around 16-17" and he made the other big ones look small. Rarely does that happen. A tank with a wider sides would be more beneficial for a oscar. That's the problem with the 55.

Obviously the bigger the tank the larger and healthier they will be. However, you could have a 300 gallon tank and have one oscar in it and he might be 12"..not every oscar gets that big.

Here's a monster in a 209 gallon with another fish, not sure what fish it is. This was at a fish store in my area. Thing is HUGE!!

img_2440901_0_374f1c06da2a7be2887f0b879a2b07fc.jpg

Ok thanks. I definitely don't want to do something and the fish not have enough space. What about discus in a 55?

I bought two baby's and put them in a 48 gallon tank one is growing faster then then the other I feed them separate becauce the bigger one is greedy but they get along very well

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417269491265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417269491265.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 65
Ok thanks. I definitely don't want to do something and the fish not have enough space. What about discus in a 55?

I would not do Discus in a 55 gallon due to the absolute terrible dimensions of it. It's 2014 why can't we have wide 55 gallons!
But yeah Discus prefer footprint and lots of it rather than height.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would not do Discus in a 55 gallon due to the absolute terrible dimensions of it. It's 2014 why can't we have wide 55 gallons!
But yeah Discus prefer footprint and lots of it rather than height.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This thread is a year and half old I'm sure he has figured out what he's doing by now...

Necro so strong.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Back
Top Bottom