Oto or SAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kr.shelby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me if this little guy is an oto or a SAE? I don't even know if these pics are detailed enough to tell...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399335707.707214.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399335526.208922.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399335576.943375.jpg

Thanks. I thought it was an oto. I went in to the store looking for something to help with a little bit of growing algae and he is what she gave me. So I really didn't look to see what he was.

They really do best in groups and in planted tanks because they're pretty sensitive to parameter changes.

They really do best in groups and in planted tanks because they're pretty sensitive to parameter changes.

Well that is what I was reading and why I started wondering what he was. I have him in a tiny 5 gallon with 2 mollies. I definitely can't fit 4 unless I take out the mollies.

Oh wow, yea you're already really overstocked because mollies need at least a 20-30 gallon.
If you can rehome the mollies you could get another Oto, and maybe some nano fish like green neon tetras, ember tetras, or a beta.

Oh wow, yea you're already really overstocked because mollies need at least a 20-30 gallon.
If you can rehome the mollies you could get another Oto, and maybe some nano fish like green neon tetras, ember tetras, or a beta.

Sorry to disagree here, but with all the debate about tank sizes and overstocking on this and other forums, why would you consider green neons or ember tetras as nano fish?

Tetras are extremely active fish with generally high oxygen requirements and low tolerence to poor water quality. Green neons, in my experience, are especially sensitive. Any changes in water quality in a small environment are usually quick and often devastating to such sensitive fish.

If it's a new 5g the Oto may starve from lack of biofilm and algae. Try putting some smooth aquarium safe river rocks in a shallow dish of water in a sunny window to grow him some food.

Rehome the Mollies ASAP. IMHO

Return or rehome the Oto to a bigger tank with other Otos.

Mine loved sitting on my plants and hanging out with my other Catfish. This is one of my 10g tanks

There are 2 species of Oto in the pic. I had 3 different species at one point.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399363705.954292.jpg

Here is a link to the known species of Otocinclus http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=49

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to disagree here, but with all the debate about tank sizes and overstocking on this and other forums, why would you consider green neons or ember tetras as nano fish?

Tetras are extremely active fish with generally high oxygen requirements and low tolerence to poor water quality. Green neons, in my experience, are especially sensitive. Any changes in water quality in a small environment are usually quick and often devastating to such sensitive fish.

I would consider them nano fish because I was under the impression that nano fish meant any fish that stays 1" or smaller. What is your definition of a nano fish?
I had no reason to think the OP has bad water quality or low oxygen levels. I was just trying to give the OP some more options besides a beta, and in my experience green neons and ember tetras are more easily found in stores than other nano fish that have to be ordered online with pricey shipping. It seems common to suggest nano fish on this forum for tanks as small as 4 gallons.
In this thread, Rivercats suggests these along with other nano fish for a person looking to set up a 5-6 gallon.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/advice-on-micro-tank-296819.html

If it's a new 5g the Oto may starve from lack of biofilm and algae. Try putting some smooth aquarium safe river rocks in a shallow dish of water in a sunny window to grow him some food. Rehome the Mollies ASAP. IMHO Return or rehome the Oto to a bigger tank with other Otos. Mine loved sitting on my plants and hanging out with my other Catfish. This is one of my 10g tanks There are 2 species of Oto in the pic. I had 3 different species at one point. Here is a link to the known species of Otocinclus http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=49 Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's awesome! My new otos hang with my habrosus to! They're becoming fast friends...

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. The water quality is good. I do water changes weekly and the parameters are good, I keep a close check on them. It is not a new tank and he was definitely not one of the first fish I put in it. He has plenty to eat and is not starving except maybe for a friend. The mollies have a new home waiting for them. The 2 mollies and the oto have been living together for at least 4 months and I have had no problems. Again, thank you for your advice and definitely for helping my to confirm my oto is just that! ?

Back
Top Bottom