Oto - Pellet Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 Oto's and 3 Cory's in a 20G long community tank. Since, the algae were almost getting over, I got some supplement disc shaped pellet food for them. It is called Hikari Pellet Food for Catfish, Loach and other Bottom Feeders. The problem is that it is just the cories who seem to be eating them. THe Oto's still haven't even touched this pellet. They are still busy eating the algae that is remaining on the sides of the tank.

Can someone explain why the Oto's are not eating these pellets ? Do I need to get something else for them ? This is quite confusing. :?

Vijay :?: :?: :?:

You can buy spirulina algea disks that sink to the bottom. That will probably be a good food choice for the ottos. Also some vegetation like boiled spinach or zucini might be a good choice.Pretty much anything that sinks will be eaten by cories. I try to drop sinking food in various locations around the tank when I have different types of bottom feeding fish. That way they can find some food to eat in peace.

Yes, I checked the package. These discs also contain Spirulina among other things. I know that this is a kind of algae. Is there any reason why the Oto's are still not eating this ?

My guess is that they like the existing algea better. Sometimes it takes awhile for a fish to get excited about a new kind of food. When they get hungry they will figure it out.

Otos will rarely resort to wafers IME as long as their is natural green algae still to be consumed. They also consume far less than many fish. No concerns.

Here is what I learned. It is best to stock low on Oto's. That way there is always more algae for them to eat. Otherwise, it appers that if the natural algae is all gone, they starve and die.

Vijay

Back
Top Bottom