Otocinclus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All my three ottos are still alive, no problems. I had seen them in the fish shop a couple of weeks before I bought them though, so I suppose if there were any losses, they would have occurred in the lfs before I bought them :) I'd seen them eating algae at the shop so I thought they'd be fine :)
The shop also taped up the corners of the fish bag. Apparantly ottos often wedge their heads into a corner of the bag on the way home. If the bags moving a lot, it can cover their gills and kill them. Try to get your shop to do that when you buy them. It might make a difference :)

Just flip the bag over... I always do that when I buy fish locally. That way there is no corners for them to get caught in. I also keep a pack of brown paper bags in my car to put them in so they don't get stressed on the way home.

meegosh said:
Just flip the bag over... I always do that when I buy fish locally. That way there is no corners for them to get caught in. I also keep a pack of brown paper bags in my car to put them in so they don't get stressed on the way home.

Ah, smart thinking :) I don't know why that didn't occur to me :) our fish shops always put them in a paper bag and then a carrier bag anyway :)

i think an important part in buying otos, is buying the ones that have been there the longest. i bought 6 and split them between two tanks, then moved two of them in with the rest of them a couple months after, and just now (a year later) did i have my first loss. the otos i bought had been at the LFS for a least a couple of weeks. i think that really made the difference (because as stated in an earlier post, if there is to be any die-offs it will happen at the LFS and you'll get the good ones.)

also, around here, i have not noticed a lack in otos. in fact, my last trip to the LFS (about a week ago) they had 50 or more of them.

I found some! I just happened to be in Petsmart on one of their fish-order days and they had a few in their shipment! Scooped up 5 and brought them home because there really wasn't all that much there and I wasn't sure when I would see some again.

I have them in QT now. They look a bit chubby. Is that normal or could they be bloated? I'll try to get some pictures up soon! Hopefully I can keep these cute little guys alive.

chubby is usually a good sign! it means their bellies are full :) congrats! make sure to supplement with high quality wafers or blanched veg like zucchini if you don't have algae built up.

Oh good, this answered a question I've been thinking about posting. My oto's are gettin kind of tubby, but that's what I get for having a tank as close to the window as I do. (Thought it was safe, between tree's and the lack of direct sunlight. The algea fairy says I was so wrong...heh.)

I've lost one. The other four seem to be doing okay, though. I added some zucchini and wafers for them to munch on, but they don't seem too interested yet.

Back
Top Bottom