Otocinclus ate all algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I had a problem with algae growth in my tank, so I bought an Oto. Well within two or three days, it appears that he has eaten most of the algae. I know there might be some hidden in places that I can't see it, but I'm worried that he might run out of algae. He has shown no interest in algae pellets. Is there any way I can encourage algae growth? Thank you!

Leave the lights on longer or open the shades and let the sun in. Some otos will eat veggies like zuchini and cucumber..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thank you! Yeah, I have left the window open, but I didn't know about the cucumbers and zucchini. Should I just cut it up and put some in or is there anyway I have to prepare it first?

If it was me I would just provide some food rather than deliberately growing algae in your tank. :)

Veggie wafers or veggies should be a good for an Oto

Ok. I will try the veggies. He doesn't seem to be fond of the pellet foods, but I will try zucchini and or cucumbers. Is there any way I have to prepare them?

Ok. I will try the veggies. He doesn't seem to be fond of the pellet foods, but I will try zucchini and or cucumbers. Is there any way I have to prepare them?

I blanch zucchini for my corys and assassin snails. This involves placing them in boiling water for 3-5 sec and then transferring to ice water. Cooking them for too long will make them mushy and you'll have vegetable mush floating all over your tank. I would also not recommend keeping them in your tank for more than 12 hours or so, for the same reason.

I blanch zucchini for my corys and assassin snails. This involves placing them in boiling water for 3-5 sec and then transferring to ice water. Cooking them for too long will make them mushy and you'll have vegetable mush floating all over your tank. I would also not recommend keeping them in your tank for more than 12 hours or so, for the same reason.

Ok. I will try that when I get back. I'm going away for the weekend.

When i feed algae pellets i break them up and drop them in so the filter outlet spreads the pieces throughout. My ottos like cucumber and zuchini if the pleco is playing nice and letting them eat it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha. I have been cutting up the pellets, but he has shown no interest. I will to feed blanched veggies when I get back. Thank you guys for all your help!

Thanks for this subject, inspired me to feed my tanks some veggies. The honey gourami loved them, the congo tetras went wild for a while. The pearl gourami didn't touch any. I hoped to feed the assassin snail, but couldn't find it. But it was fun to watch!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do peas for my oto's

I blanch peas peel the outer shell off and drop them in the tank just before lights out by morning they are gone. I also grow some green water in the garden window and spurt some with a turkey baster toward my sponge filter.
Also might I recommend u get a couple more mine seem to like the company. U will also know if the oto is getting enough to eat because they get pot bellies between feedings.

They will still feed on biofilm which makes up the bulk of their diet, but I like to feed them repashy's veggie food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed my Otos lettuce. I plant a few pieces in the tank and after a day or so, they go to town. if you blanch it, it will be eaten sooner. The snails love it also.

How big is the tank he's in? Ottos do appreciate being in groups of 3 or more, but if you're already running out of food for the 1 then I recommend avoiding adding more.

All four of our fish love blanched zucchini. We have two Platys and two Otos. But they do eat the biofilm. Adding the zucchini once a week allows the film to grow because they seem to prefer veggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom