Otocinclus , Goby and Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cormorin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I haves few questions on new fish I unwisely bought on a whim.

TANK

12G
T8 15W -6700K light on 10hrs / day
JBL Manado substrate with sand/gravel overlay
DIY CO2 system
PH7.2
Temp 28degC
Interpet IPF2 Filter
Weekly 1/3 water change with HARD tape water
I have an air stone also but turned it off to get greater CO2 absorption.
I add 5ml Nutrafin Plant Gro every three days.
Once every month Algae Destroyer Liquid.

Fish:
2 Dwarf Gourami
2 Raindows
6 Lampeye
6 Ember Tetra
1 Assassin Snails
4 Ghost Shrimp
3 Cherry Red Shrimp
2 Bumblebee Goby
2 Otocinclus

The fish I bought without research are the Otocinclus and the Goby.

The questions are:

1. Will the Goby eat all the shrimp and other small fish.
3. Will the Goby survive in fresh not brackish water.
2. Will the Otocinclus eat all the Java Fern in my tank.

Many Thanks

Hi,

I haves few questions on new fish I unwisely bought on a whim.

TANK

12G
T8 15W -6700K light on 10hrs / day
JBL Manado substrate with sand/gravel overlay
DIY CO2 system
PH7.2
Temp 28degC
Interpet IPF2 Filter
Weekly 1/3 water change with HARD tape water
I have an air stone also but turned it off to get greater CO2 absorption.
I add 5ml Nutrafin Plant Gro every three days.
Once every month Algae Destroyer Liquid.

Fish:
2 Dwarf Gourami
2 Raindows
6 Lampeye
6 Ember Tetra
1 Assassin Snails
4 Ghost Shrimp
3 Cherry Red Shrimp
2 Bumblebee Goby
2 Otocinclus

The fish I bought without research are the Otocinclus and the Goby.

The questions are:

1. Will the Goby eat all the shrimp and other small fish.
3. Will the Goby survive in fresh not brackish water.
2. Will the Otocinclus eat all the Java Fern in my tank.

Many Thanks

Wow if that's your stock list you are way overstocked! That is 20 fish in a 12 gallon tank.
1. No
2. No
3. No
If I were you I'd rehome the gobies, dwarf gouramis, rainbows and killifish and add more Otos. That will be a much more appropriate stock. You could even add some more ember tetras since they are tiny.

I think you reposted in the wrong thread lol. Well the dwarf gouramis get pretty large as well. Since it's planted you could probably get away with a little bit of overstocking but id rehome the gouramis and rainbows at least. The gobies really should be in brackish water as well.

Well sounds like tank two may be on its way...

Definitely listen to bribo that stock is huge! Here is what aqadvisor says: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Warning: Oto is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2 inches.
Warning: Dwarf Gourami is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2.5 inches.
Warning: Boesemans Rainbowfish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 3.9 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Boesemans Rainbowfish are recommended in a group.
Warning: Lampeye Killifish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1.6 inches.
Warning: Ember Tetra is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1 inches.
Warning: Bumblebee Goby is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1.8 inches.
Warning: Bumblebee Goby requires brackish water.
Your aquarium stocking level is 197%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

That is kinda ridiculous they say embers and the aren't ok in a 12 gallon. They are tiny! I don't think a group of embers plus some Otos is unreasonable for that tank. They have miniscule bioloads. But yes the gouramis, rainbows and gobies need to go. I'd pick between the killies or ember tetras as a main schooling fish.

I have a 12g tank myself and the Lampeye's, Ember Tetra's, and Oto's are fine. I wouldn't keep 2 DG but 1 can work BUT depending on it's temperament it could harass the small embers and even small shrimp.

You didn't say what type of rainbowfish as some are in the nano fish family.

I definitely would not keep the gobies.

Also watch as ghost shrimp can be quite aggressive and actively hunt and eat smaller shrimp and even each other sometimes.

Oto's are totally plant safe and help keep leaves clean.

I was kinda thinking that some of those seemed a bit ridiculous! The only thing I could think of was that maybe it was in relation to the other fish. I posted it more do to the over stocking.

I don't agree with all the red......here's the output I get with the rainbow and goby removed. Shame about the goby :(

Attachments

• image-339397318.jpg
    image-339397318.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 93
And with all fish.....which does make the point.

Back to my LFS I go.........

Attachments

• image-290144282.jpg
    image-290144282.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom