Otocinclus species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lake_tuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do you guys know if different species of otos inter-breed? I have 2 species of otos that looks very similar (affinis-looking ones), and I'm wondering if they'll breed with each other.

they might but since its not common from them to breed in the aquarium you dont have too much to worry about. what 2 kinds do you have?

they might but since its not common from them to breed in the aquarium you dont have too much to worry about. what 2 kinds do you have?

I have affinis and another kind that looks very like it. I had two affinis and bought two more thinking they were the same, but they looked different once put in the tank! The new ones are a bit larger, too.

They might be Chinese Algae Eaters

I hope you were just joking. Here's a photo of them:
img_1075524_0_6c72a713bd6e8a29f3f928f82920a4bd.jpg

To my eye they looks like normal otos. You can google chinese algae eater identification as I remember a while back there are markings that are very slight but enable you to tell them apart. But IMO those look normal.

Oh and otos don't breed in captivity often. In fact there are only a handful of cases I've ever heard about. It's a real shame too because they are perfect for almost every tank.

On a slightly off-topic comment I almost purchased some incredible otos. Problem was they were just too expensive (~$10 a pop) and since otos typically have a high mortality rate I would have had to drop a lot of money for them. Still wish I had gotten some though. They were called zebra otos and are INCREDIBLE.

zebra oto - Google Search

Wow those are some cool looking otos! I don't believe i have ever seen those in person before.

Wow those are some cool looking otos! I don't believe i have ever seen those in person before.

I haven't either. The guy I was going to buy them from was an importer from South America. Claims he does "made to order" and the fish go from the natural habitat, directly to express shipping. I have to believe him because I ended up getting a dozen regular otos at $2 a piece. NONE DIED. Nuff said... :)

To my eye they looks like normal otos. You can google chinese algae eater identification as I remember a while back there are markings that are very slight but enable you to tell them apart. But IMO those look normal.

Oh and otos don't breed in captivity often. In fact there are only a handful of cases I've ever heard about. It's a real shame too because they are perfect for almost every tank.

On a slightly off-topic comment I almost purchased some incredible otos. Problem was they were just too expensive (~$10 a pop) and since otos typically have a high mortality rate I would have had to drop a lot of money for them. Still wish I had gotten some though. They were called zebra otos and are INCREDIBLE.

zebra oto - Google Search

They are "regular" otos, but they are different species of otocinclus. I was wondering what the specific species they were because there are about a dozen, and half of them look very similar. I guess no one knows!

Sorry can't help you out, but as we mentioned they will not interbreed. And if they do post up here ASAP because it is rare enough that we would want all of your tank conditions, feeding habits, etc. :)

Sorry can't help you out, but as we mentioned they will not interbreed. And if they do post up here ASAP because it is rare enough that we would want all of your tank conditions, feeding habits, etc. :)

Haha, OK. For the past few days, the oto on the bottom of the picture I posted have been following the other like he wants to eat it! Maybe I should record a video with my digital camera.. it's kinda funny to watch.

Haha, OK. For the past few days, the oto on the bottom of the picture I posted have been following the other like he wants to eat it! Maybe I should record a video with my digital camera.. it's kinda funny to watch.

Oto's are some really cool fish. They semi-school when looking for food or threatened. I had a dozen in my main 20 gallon tank and they would cruise around in groups of 4-5 at a time. It's when you see them following a DIFFERENT species of fish that you should be concerned, and feed them some food....

Back
Top Bottom